Re: [websec] Coordinating Frame-Options and CSP UI Safety directives

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org> Mon, 09 July 2012 23:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:33:40 +0100
From: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
To: bhill@paypal-inc.com, websec@ietf.org
Cc: public-webappsec@w3.org
Subject: Re: [websec] Coordinating Frame-Options and CSP UI Safety directives

Brad,

thank you for your email.

<hat="individual">

Reading your argument, I think it would be very helpful to hear in more
detail from you the concrete reasons for why you think the current
solution is weak and why it would be better in CSP.
Answering to your mentioned arguments:
1. IMHO "save on some header bloat" is a very weak argument, that on the
one hand is not a big problem looking at the current header landscape
and could be used to basically wrap everything from HSTS headers to
whatever into CSP, which then leads to a huge meta-header (or some might
call it "CSP bloat" ;-) ).
2. I think the migration from XFO to FO is straight forward, in fact I
rather see a complication (disadvantage) by moving it to the CSP model
instead of a direct evolution path from XFO to FO.

And actually as I also already described in a previous argument on
websec, the FO functionality is not fully symmetric to all other CSP
directives, and therefore should not be handled in CSP.

In summary, I do think FO would be better to continue as a draft in
Websec and can not see any significant benefit in moving it into CSP.
Could you please provide some more specific reasons or examples about
why exactly FO might be better as part of CSP?

Best regards, Tobias

Ps.: please note, that I am currently on holiday and will only be able
to answer emails in about a weeks time.