[websec] Stephen Farrell's Yes on draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 09 October 2014 12:42 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 05:42:36 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning@tools.ietf.org, websec@ietf.org, websec-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [websec] Stephen Farrell's Yes on draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning/

COMMENT:

Thanks for clearing up my discuss points. One possible
remaining nit though:

- In 2.2 you say: "(1) the processing rules for HTTP
   request messages received over a secure transport (e.g.
   authenticated, non-anonymous TLS); "

Should the "e.g." be an "i.e." ? It's probably fine either
way but just wondered.

-- OLD comments below, didn't check 'em

abstract and elswhere: SubjectPublicKeyInfo doesn't usually
have spaces between the terms. No big deal. After the abstract
would a ref to 5280 be right for SPKI as well?

general: I think emphasising the backup pin requirement in the
intro would be good. It's a little hidden now and would be a
surprise to some I bet.

2.1 - pin-directive has the literal "pin-" but later you say
(in bullet #3) that directive names are case insensitive.  Does
that apply to "pin-" as well or not?

2.1 - has some typos: reistry and hahs

2.1 - "Known Pinned Host" would be a fine term to define in a
section 1.1 that was renamed via s/Requirements
Language/Terminology/

2.1.1 - max-age is really defined against the time of reception
and not (in principle) from when its emitted?  I know that
makes no difference now, but with a sufficient latency (e.g.
Earth->Mars, min 4 mins, max 20 mins, and yes my DTN heritage
is showing:-) it could, just about. I think to be pedantically
correct, max-age ought be defined versus the time of emission
and not receipt.

2.1.2 - uses the term "Pinned Host" which is not the same as
the previously used "Known Pinned Host" - is the distinction
meant to be significant or is that a typo?

2.1.3/section 4 - shouldn't the potential DoS issues be
discussed for cases where report-uri != same-origin? E.g.  if
busy-site.example.net (is hacked and) sets report-uri to
victim.example.com (maybe with some HTML/JS that generates
loads of queries to the victimj) that'd be like getting /.'d I
think that's maybe worth noting in the security considerations
or in 2.1.3 where you (quite properly) say to rate-limit
reporting. If you'd rather not say why though, that's ok too.