Re: [websec] [saag] Pinning

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org> Wed, 06 June 2012 16:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:46:03 +0100
From: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
To: paul.hoffman@vpnc.org, ynir@checkpoint.com, turners@ieca.com
Cc: websec@ietf.org, saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [websec] [saag] Pinning

Sean et al.,

<hat="individual">
I agree with Paul and Yoav and think the coordination between dane and
websec on HSTS and key-pinning is ok. Both WGs are aware of potential
coordination issues when mechanisms in both (DNSSEC and HTTP header)
will be implemented eventually. I don't think we need an operations
statement yet. Maybe at some point in the future an informational Best
Practice or if you wish a Std Track can help.

With regards to draft-perrin-tls-tack and draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning,
I am not so sure about potential conflicts here and whether we need or
want both.
</hat>

Best regards, Tobias

Ps.:
<hat="WG chair">
And on a personal note, one thing I am not so happy about is that I can
see from the tls-tack draft, that the authors are aware of key-pinning
(which is nice) and perceive that there would be flaws, yet they chose
to not post their comments on it to websec nor inform the WG about their
new draft.

To make it easier in the future to coordinate the two drafts and
possibly discuss and decide whether to boil down to one, it might make
sense to inform websec about draft-perrin-tls-tack and have a discussion
about it at some point there.
Just my 5cents.
</hat>