Re: [weirds] Basis for BOF request for Taipei

Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@icann.org> Thu, 29 September 2011 15:02 UTC

From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@icann.org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:05:12 -0700
x-pgp-agent: GPGMail 1.3.3
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "weirds@ietf.org" <weirds@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [weirds] Basis for BOF request for Taipei

I think the charter reads well. I have a few comments:

"While there are parts of IRIS that have been widely deployed, as a
    replacement for WHOIS it has not been a success.  "

Not certain why we'd need to say more than

"IRIS has not been a success as a replacement for WHOIS".

"The Working Group shall undertake to document the existing
    efforts, to determine the general needs of such a service; and to
    standardize a data format"

Does this mean the group will come up with a single data format?

Last point. Is it worth mentioning anything about the problems ad hoc solutions to accommodate internationalized registration data using Whois create? Server specific signaling, widely varying response formats, and error reporting already inhibit legitimate automation. None of these scale well today and will only become worse. While I concede that it's not possible to suppress ad hoc efforts, providing a scalable solution offers a practical alternative.