Re: Virtual Meetings / Work Process Thoughts

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 27 March 2020 15:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:27:49 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@comcast.com>
Cc: "wgchairs@ietf.org" <wgchairs@ietf.org>, Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Virtual Meetings / Work Process Thoughts

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 02:48:15PM +0000, Livingood, Jason wrote:
> A few random observations for Jay (cc???d) or anyone else starting to build a list of requirements (if we assume we must do virtual 108, 109, 1XX) or practices for conducting a WG meeting.
>

>   *   It???d be nice to have a very easy, preferably web-based chat channel for each WG session.

Web based jabber client ?
Whats bad about jabber in your opinion ?

>   *   We need a better mechanism to manage the mic queue rather than +Q and -Q in the chat channel.

meetecho would do that i think Hopefully we can get meetecho for full
virtual meetings towards 108, Jay was pointing at that direction.

>   *   We need more scale & performance on some of the backend servers (I often experience slowness on datatracker, etherpad, main webpage, etc.)

>   *   We need a virtual hum tool of some kind that???s not voting. Maybe if we want to hum we all click a button and you see a ???volume??? level increase kind of like an audio-level display. Or maybe everyone goes off mute for an actual hum. Who knows.

Did any group this week try to use the "hands-up" tool in webex ?
And that "binary" ignaling is insufficient in your opinion ?

>   *   Some process stuff:
>      *   I would like to be able to have the chair(s) on video at the same time as slides, not one or the other.

+1 i think:

Hmm.. Video in webex is always independent of slides. I think most
chairs just choose not to send video ? I too would suggest
that chairss/speakers should have video on. Don't be so
worried about network bandwidth, it should really be working
quite well these days.

>      *   With mic lines, I???d like to have the person speaking ???at the mic??? on video as well as the speaker(s) and/or chair(s).

+1.

>      *   This may be achievable with tools like Webex or Zoom ??? or not. Or it might require a dedicated video conference manager to handle it (kind of like the people at the mixing board in the back of the ballroom during a plenary) ??? and we should be open to resourcing this if needed.

Webex/Zoom have typically different views you can choose as a
participant. It always has some highlighting of the currently talking
speaker. Not sure about meetecho.

For normal WG meetings i would like to first perfect whatever
we can do without requring additional personnel. Something like
plenary as a one-off is fine..  Just thinking how to keeps things
simple.

--
---
tte@cs.fau.de