Re: Please comment on your use of trac

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Thu, 25 February 2021 22:40 UTC

Subject: Re: Please comment on your use of trac
From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 11:40:03 +1300
Cc: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: wgchairs@ietf.org

I’m in the process of drafting the RFP for this work and I want to check a few things base on your replies:

1.  It sounds as it everyone is comfortable with a migration to a new wiki system

2.  A few WGs - EMAILCORE, DMARC and TSVWG are using trac for issue tracking and need migrating to a new issue tracker.  Would you be happy if that was GitHub? (DMARC has already indicated this is acceptable).

3.  Many more WGs used to use trac for issue tracking but no longer do.  We need to find a way to archive these for the historical record, but I want to check you would be happy if that was just an export to a text file that could then be a wiki page rather than moving them to a new issue tracking system?

4.  The following features for a new wiki system have been recommended:

	* document names resolve to links to the documents without having to require explicit URLs.
	* I would like a markdown based wiki system.

5.  We are currently considering moving to a *single* wiki instead of multiple different instances of the same wiki.  The means the following features are needed to support the various ways that WGs and other groups use their wikis:

	• support of OIDC for authentication with Datatracker
	• permissions system (which will be limited to roles that Datatracker know about)

(so far the product that seems to meet these requirements the best is Wiki.js)

Any comments, or any more to add?

Jay

--
Jay Daley