Re: Fwd: Reminder: Survey on planning for possible online IETF meetings

Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> Wed, 06 May 2020 15:43 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
To: Dave Lawrence <tale@dd.org>
cc: IETF WG Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Reminder: Survey on planning for possible online IETF meetings
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 11:43:46 -0400

Dave Lawrence <tale@dd.org> wrote:
    >> Where I had a problem was that I had to think hard about how I'd
    >> adapt.

    > I suspect most of us struggled with that, because it's infinitely
    > complex in a way that I just don't think you can capture in a survey.
    > Hopefully some broad trends would be evident though.

    > Like, on the question about how many hours a day should be scheduled
    > for if it was in your least desirable time zone, I ranked the shortest
    > as first but the longest as second, because with the shortest I'd have
    > hopefully the least disruption to my sleep but with the longest I could
    > hopefully be more naturally awake for some of it.  But how do you
    > capture those thoughts in a way useful for analysis?

Exactly, I tried to say the same thing.
I can probably be somewhat alert at 2am to 3am once a week.
I can't do that every day though.

But, if you want me to be alert from 2am to 6am, then you might as well ask
me for 2am to 10am, because I've already paid the overhead.

    > The question about how easy things would be for various possibilities
    > around your least desirable time zone, well right off the bat that
    > seems to cap off "very easy" and "easy" as not being even valid answers
    > to the question.  I tried to rank them relatively from neutral on down
    > anyway, but maybe someone else would interpret that question more like
    > "well, I'll say very easy because of all the undesirable choices this
    > is least undesirable".

:-)

    > I have little doubt that the people who authored the survey feel just
    > as stressed about all the ambiguity involved I expect they got it good
    > enough to still get useful signal out of it.

This is why I thought I'd write my email.