Re: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 26 October 2020 23:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 00:59:08 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, ietf@ietf.org, wgchairs@ietf.org, rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org, rsoc@iab.org, ietf@johnlevine.com
Subject: Re: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ?
References: <20201026150241.GK48111@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <20201026162814.GP39170@kduck.mit.edu> <20201026164036.GO48111@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <1a56dc3b-56ef-3ffb-a12b-44d5e0d0f835@levkowetz.com> <20201026171931.GP48111@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <b733240-fc78-5a71-8920-ff84fbf64287@iecc.com> <20201026180105.GQ48111@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <03976f9f-7f49-7bf7-ce29-ee989232a44d@gmail.com> <7879175D0ABBB5401B02FEA6@PSB> <25dcbfb7-3448-8372-36eb-dc323acc7fd8@gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:51:39PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> John,
>
> Let me retract "useless". What really bothers me is that page numbers are actively misleading in the new format. I think that became true the moment a consensus appeared that the preferred presentation format was HTML with flowed text.

I do not understand: Who is mislead about what ?

Also: Given how there are so many possible presentation methods and consumption use-cases,
why do you think that prohibiting a particular format is helpful to the community ?

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---