Re: Draft "Convince your boss" note for IETF participants - follow up

"sbanks@encrypted.net" <sbanks@encrypted.net> Tue, 04 October 2022 23:28 UTC

Subject: Re: Draft "Convince your boss" note for IETF participants - follow up
From: "sbanks@encrypted.net" <sbanks@encrypted.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:28:20 -0700
Cc: WG Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>
To: Greg Wood <ghwood@staff.ietf.org>

Hi,
	If we’re really going to do this, it might be nice to have some indicators of success, if we could be convinced to measure them. How often does this letter actually work? If it did, what about it resonated with their boss? If it didn’t work, why not? What were the questions they wanted answered but weren’t covered, or what didn’t resonate? In the past, when I’ve had to convince start ups to fund my trips, I typically was asked 1. How much will it cost (or they tell me here’s the budget, make it work), 2. How much time will it take that week/will you be doing IETF things vs how much time will be spent performing your day job (APAC trips are brutal :)) and 3. What do I get out of it? I realize this might not have been the initial point of the “convince your boss” thread, but I didn’t see a lot of Venn diagram overlap, so thought I’d share.

Thanks,
Sarah