RE: [Widex] Proposed rewording for Framework draft

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> Mon, 19 June 2006 14:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:16:30 +0100
From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Jin Yu <jyu@openxup.org>
Subject: RE: [Widex] Proposed rewording for Framework draft
Cc: Vlad.Stirbu@nokia.com, widex@ietf.org

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Jin Yu wrote:

>>> add and remove
>>>
>>> For the second bullet, I prefer "a list of messages..." rather
>>> than "a list of events...". The word "event" is overloaded
>>> here; I don't think it refers to "UI event", which is used
>>> predominantly in rest of the text.
>>>

>> I think that the meaning of this bullet is that you get the list of
>> events that have remote scope using the service discovery and session
>> setup component of the framework. They are exchanged according to the
>> particular mechanism and they will not be defined in this WG, e.g. as
>> WOs. For this reason, I tend to think that using the term messages is
>> confusing.
>
> I agree that this bullet won't be defined by this WG. But the term
> "event" is even more confusing since it's already overloaded. So
> what's a better term?

The bullet point needs to be read in the context of the preceding
paragraph:

  The Widex Framework needs a mechanism by which the Widex Renderer
  determines which events have a remote scope and therefore need to
  be serialized and forwarded to the Widex Server.  The determination
  of  which events have a remote scope could be achieved in one of
  three ways:

    o  prior agreement between the Widex Renderer and Widex Server
    o  a list of events passed during session establishment
    o  the Widex Server could direct the Widex Renderer to add
       and remove event listeners during the session

This I believe makes it pretty clear that what is being discussed
are events that are raised in the Windex Renderer and which need to
be forwarded to the Widex Server as WO.Event messages. The bullet
point suggests that one way for the Widex Server to indicate which
such events it is interested in is via a list of events that is
exchanged with the Widex Renderer at session establishment. Widex
won't define the events, but it is within our scope to define a
mechanism for passing a list of event names as part of session
establishment for a binding to specific protocol. This is something
we can now start talking about in more detail, but it would be
good to first reach agreement on publishing the framework draft.

  Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>  W3C lead for multimodal interaction
  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett +44 1225 866240 (or 867351)