Re: [Widex] Comments on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-widex-requirements-04.txt

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Thu, 18 January 2007 19:43 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Widex] Comments on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-widex-requirements-04.txt
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:42:52 -0800
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: widex@ietf.org

Hi Graham,

These comments came in after the close of IETF Last Call (well
after).  Are these issues specific to the changes that were made in
draft -04, the one that was published after IETF Last Call?  Or are
any of these issue very important given that we're publishing this as
a record of work done and not proceeding with Standards Track WIDEX
protocol documents at this time?

BTW, thanks regardless for the review... it doesn't hurt to get this
on the record anyway.  And I tried to answer one of your questions
below, inline.

Vlad, are there any comments here you believe need to be addressed in
a new draft or answers for Graham's questions?

Lisa

On Jan 15, 2007, at 5:42 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just read through:
>
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-widex-
> requirements-04.txt
>
> and I think there are a couple of areas where the requirements as
> stated aren't
> entirely clear:
>
> - Section 4.1, 4th bullet (The framework SHOULD be stateless):  I
> *think* I know
> what this is intended to mean, but in light of the preceding
> section 3.8 there
> seems some scope for confusion.  Also, section 4.3 bullet 4 seems
> to imply that
> the WO must contain some (session-related) state.  What is unclear
> is the scope
> of the "framework" that should be stateless.
>
> - Section 4.4:  I guess the "Widex protocol" is just the same as
> the "transport
> protocol" mentioned in section 3.5?  Or is there more?

The WG has previously considered binding the WIDEX messages either to
BEEP or to some other transport (possibly one more likely to traverse
NATs; XMPP and HTTP-based stuff have been at least mentioned).   I
understand this section to be requirements on the choice of an
appropriate layer to use below the WIDEX messages.