Return-Path: <lucas@lucaspardue.com>
X-Original-To: witarea@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: witarea@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
	by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3A9BD10DFEC8E
	for <witarea@mail2.ietf.org>; Fri,  3 Jul 2026 12:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1;
	t=1783106944; bh=AjD7XwCVEmTxoI+y0Wx/Wdo1LBj6tmqI7IBXhpKK57k=;
	h=Date:From:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:References:Subject;
	b=bUiN3+bQ3zMpPxUCopvyNPrSl5+wUz81QS4WWhL880uTqdC3DyM32Uy0ZtfcKw00V
	 QcIWaZipm9b101BA3gXvBceX4iGIDDbxNhsfOmjjj8vUBNzFirxEdKhuTy5bUc9DOR
	 r3rF6Qf3q+tTfK7LNG9bCNBAXWixKd4bafGMkq9o=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.798
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.798 tagged_above=-999 required=5
	tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1,
	DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001,
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW=-0.7, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_CERTIFIED_BLOCKED=0.001,
	RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL_BLOCKED=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001]
	autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
	header.d=lucaspardue.com header.b="bMqBn/Bh"; dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
	header.d=messagingengine.com header.b="lXUJOSZx"
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31])
	by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
	with ESMTP id yr20vgfRiQZ7 for <witarea@mail2.ietf.org>;
	Fri,  3 Jul 2026 12:29:02 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from fhigh-b2-smtp.messagingengine.com
 (fhigh-b2-smtp.messagingengine.com [202.12.124.153])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256))
	(No client certificate requested)
	by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id EAE9010DFEBD5
	for <witarea@ietf.org>; Fri,  3 Jul 2026 12:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from phl-compute-02.internal (phl-compute-02.internal [10.202.2.42])
	by mailfhigh.stl.internal (Postfix) with ESMTP id 936277A0049;
	Fri,  3 Jul 2026 15:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from phl-imap-03 ([10.202.2.93])
  by phl-compute-02.internal (MEProxy); Fri, 03 Jul 2026 15:29:00 -0400
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=lucaspardue.com;
	 h=cc:cc:content-type:content-type:date:date:from:from
	:in-reply-to:in-reply-to:message-id:mime-version:references
	:reply-to:subject:subject:to:to; s=fm3; t=1783106940; x=
	1783193340; bh=AjD7XwCVEmTxoI+y0Wx/Wdo1LBj6tmqI7IBXhpKK57k=; b=b
	MqBn/BhDzmXlfV2mn86cy9q6EUCCaY55/mGmseOWNZdod87XB/EhCNMWVB0BFgjK
	a9cu76mEd/2KT0MlxV2wWd0k29BMIZHn1VhnHGRzjSMPKxNscyJab7Tf5jvTjpyP
	hQugKwnZhgzGGZm3vvOrWgJWPdZ/ZI6VfiubbtD3wHAO+uwxhsBfTAHKbBvvBUDJ
	BS7xFXgkC8ssmeUBtTnoasF+YuPYObYsrlzEvoreT+mEiQ1b7QCBvODTQv8TYM+d
	5K9EpEFIgK6xHsV9UtS/CT16L8oSGF6kR5vo8yIgomvOWkuueE2UkXlqeRhrFr8E
	7vzK3bJQkL7LHMZhW99IQ==
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=
	messagingengine.com; h=cc:cc:content-type:content-type:date:date
	:feedback-id:feedback-id:from:from:in-reply-to:in-reply-to
	:message-id:mime-version:references:reply-to:subject:subject:to
	:to:x-me-proxy:x-me-sender:x-me-sender:x-sasl-enc; s=fm2; t=
	1783106940; x=1783193340; bh=AjD7XwCVEmTxoI+y0Wx/Wdo1LBj6tmqI7IB
	XhpKK57k=; b=lXUJOSZxmEvJc1vfBbkMc65WyTMLEbTBSU1VTb1eofe/NENe9Jp
	1qPJnr0Ndiej0iQeTFLcQSQYK/9aaTPQ6gw/JXaVIgbNEHPQY7/mMn/2Y4cTL0Vd
	pAgZU3lmseJGspq9ytbWRVF8vwFnV1rWXhbqujo0vlFKjVVX4IE2I5iyG9FrqagI
	3g5sv8txcD+99MrOkvGkfT5/JG2gpACj+bTA5wU2PAxMrosUYePI0sMGSzhzG10C
	zh2Lk7BI0tlBgdEwVrP85yHZ6j90XOcbwuuUrJNs+cpmnO4+ypuJTbcH9c7nVRMS
	io4CXoQQd1nJ6XQtyZ+l0K0epQjBKRRpRmA==
X-ME-Sender: <xms:fA1Iaqn275HpiDh6163uGTFn1W53C4wS16u1uCtmwQBJvLAQOHQorA>
    <xme:fA1IasqvIohcN7JC6pfG-HPxxzuODottspl533d0gecx3p3EuxyhaIVheKn0e4xvM
    Ejluvy161_YFdUzRVhdV7xMFFKhVaVQ5lT1SHDM9RVAWIW381U9qw>
X-ME-Proxy-Cause: 
 dmFkZTFZkJgZyWJsnO7nCPkeMjWKvDF4RjcG2VC4VH1Xz0dL0og4mkZj7Zs7bLaZkac2za
    zQ8C5lhP5Xaapqt4gGlYqkYAAgkmOr4cy1XzS8p+CuxGt12Tf9wWrJc4OaiUeyw3DuFg12
    rSE88pzGiyHC30iR8zglrKGG4b7jpyOAIV+FcsZ+L8kOHzPYO5U23xsRQEIK5KWr5GxrNi
    pYWpqHg0LiJJ/+cnPs8NzNVSYzKarrK92c+rALReyYyVhEZXmV8bskJ3iSKv5J+zWazDVf
    Uh/ICQyPO2Edqo1aRp6CZD92Rb9Umc2DFW+pTyGq+2p28p+5Lrj+8IIaL0N9rSx0XlAegV
    kTlckAN3awNxwP51ffOOmaXxKzQF8k+ah67YsIc1mQiLwyGez5K5pyx+b15j1cCVrfOlT1
    YhQRcvjqxb1OWixCvB7/BAfw0d/cJ7Oy0R+S2nfieLGd2PxKqX4j8rrx3TmE3HXaeus4gJ
    skVQ+vW8tfsIk5Gs9Zq2N87+LJUXJIdi3k7L4aSIW9mUCLZW28HMS3+ZiM/aZJDijvqlTZ
    XzdbDkwHZEnGs/dvJjFvtEP6JAuWluoF/iqcBqAg33VqcDFFJ4PerdzVcb2ZJsgUnh7fdv
    mwE/bxRjutk3VDAu7J040Ym6kyGuHKgx8fW9w9z+YVDvzn94VxnaoMam7B3g
X-ME-Proxy: <xmx:fA1IatlU3hAw92dwb7deZyOubsZIAAf0bmIlU_x1KjUImWm207pHUg>
    <xmx:fA1Iau21hC0gliedsDxo-9Z0DZJygImqp9KTKZdGU3KMTsuF64TOkQ>
    <xmx:fA1IahRauQ3HiFKvWuZsC_5lzWGz3i-OU8Z_WCe8OXlmjPAjB5DAjw>
    <xmx:fA1IaoubI-mvY6EYk_ZdQ5FgwMXFzco6JBDMxrBNtVVw6i0SYNp1jQ>
    <xmx:fA1IahYsMMrQ_DbwyMA-P1h2agPKY9sMqff21Ybx_WQo_yhaf8penfIC>
Feedback-ID: i23b94938:Fastmail
Received: by mailuser.phl.internal (Postfix, from userid 501)
	id D0C1018E006C; Fri,  3 Jul 2026 15:28:59 -0400 (EDT)
X-Mailer: MessagingEngine.com Webmail Interface
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-ThreadId: AYq4uGD7aKWs
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2026 20:27:52 +0100
From: "Lucas Pardue" <lucas@lucaspardue.com>
To: "Franck Martin" <franck@peachymango.org>
Message-Id: <4940ab6e-cc24-40b5-85ec-3b6ff0bfa492@app.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To: 
 <1028203045.53547521.1783104817162.JavaMail.zimbra@peachymango.org>
References: <AF85250F-A46E-4CCB-8E1F-BE362FF6E47E@ericsson.com>
 <1789666940.33457565.1782937621585.JavaMail.zimbra@peachymango.org>
 <7228df10-1dc3-4a2b-addc-d2aa93c60cdd@app.fastmail.com>
 <1182691430.45301794.1783032151849.JavaMail.zimbra@peachymango.org>
 <c4593d79-1dcf-4a25-8428-aec0045c21bc@app.fastmail.com>
 <1137890800.53231581.1783102348406.JavaMail.zimbra@peachymango.org>
 <e886997b-ec05-4d1a-9126-01e18afe8656@app.fastmail.com>
 <1028203045.53547521.1783104817162.JavaMail.zimbra@peachymango.org>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary=b522ce7233c05972c3cd622ab356facc132c126d
Message-ID-Hash: MYPELZB3CRWXTNMZBXLMGCHBANNVGBYA
X-Message-ID-Hash: MYPELZB3CRWXTNMZBXLMGCHBANNVGBYA
X-MailFrom: lucas@lucaspardue.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency;
 loop; banned-address; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia;
 implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject;
 digests; suspicious-header
CC: witarea <witarea@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: =?utf-8?q?=5BWitarea=5D_Re=3A_draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02_requesting_rev?=
 =?utf-8?q?iew/additional_comments?=
List-Id: "Web and Internet Transport (WIT) Area" <witarea.ietf.org>
Archived-At: 
 <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/witarea/mxphJZkloWbZoAdfp3KhIO5ZcEI>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/witarea>
List-Help: <mailto:witarea-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:witarea-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:witarea@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:witarea-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:witarea-leave@ietf.org>

--b522ce7233c05972c3cd622ab356facc132c126d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable



On Fri, Jul 3, 2026, at 19:53, Franck Martin wrote:
> This is not an open or fair question.

I disagree entirely. You proposal levies several requirements on clients=
. It should be cognisant of the operating environments those clients nee=
d to run in. By all means rephrase the question but the fundamental chal=
lenges for client implementers will stand. If client are not willing to =
change to address the IPv6 only desires, then an effort to standardise r=
equirements on them is unlikely to succeed.

>=20
> *From: *"Lucas Pardue" <lucas@lucaspardue.com>
> *To: *"Franck Martin" <franck@peachymango.org>
> *Cc: *"witarea" <witarea@ietf.org>
> *Sent: *Friday, July 3, 2026 11:47:05 AM
> *Subject: *Re: [Witarea] Re: draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requestin=
g review/additional comments
>=20
> Here's the type question you want to pose to the HTTP community:
>=20
> "Some operators might want to limit the access to their services, for =
unexplained reasons, based solely on what they think a client IP might b=
e. As a client implementation maintainer, would you be willing to add co=
mplexity and security/privacy/reliability risks to your codebase in orde=
r to support automatic actions in your discovery and connection selectio=
n logic?"
>=20
> If the answer is no, then utilising existing HTTP extension points to =
signal information in responses so that they are surfaced to end users s=
eem like a fine compromise for the foreseeable future. And it requires n=
o IETF standards action.
>=20
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2026, at 19:12, Franck Martin wrote:
>> The community on IPv6/IPv4 has always been divided. There are some fo=
r and some against deployment of IPv6, with some strong opinions. I'm tr=
ying to not be in any camp, except I'm thinking now of the future on how=
 to best remove IPv4 as this is not easy and there is very little help.
>>=20
>> Based on my past experience and the experience in the community (I ha=
ve been deploying IPv6 for more than 20 years, while trying to retire IP=
v4, and in very large/huge deployments), some (law makers) have decided =
to terminate IPv4, as described in the introduction of the draft. They a=
re few, but I believe the number will slowly rise. Now if they have deci=
ded to terminate IPv4, how the IETF can provide us, the maintainers of a=
ll those systems, with tools to do it as safely as possible to as you me=
ntion, minimize the impact on end users. There is also the case that tec=
hnology like K8S is ghastly over IPv4, and IPv6-only deployments is more=
 cost effective, if all the rest follows.
>>=20
>> This is the purpose of this draft, it is not to mandate, but to propo=
se: if you have to shut down IPv4, here is a way to reach that goal safe=
ly. At the moment, I don't know any safe way to do it, and I wish I had =
that tool to minimize the risk. I explain that part in the IPv6 migratio=
n in data centers draft. You can ensure your application works over IPv6=
-only, but it is very hard to do a reliable inventory of all the clients=
, and offer good roll backs, for the odd but very important client that =
represent less than 0.1% of the calls that you did not found in your ana=
lysis.
>>=20
>> Side note, I found the talk on reddit to be very healthy with many we=
ighting the pros and cons of various options. I think we can have the sa=
me here at the IETF, before shutting the door on this proposal outright.
>>=20
>> Also, I thought the community is here too, so I'm doing just this, co=
nsulting the community with a proposal and the rational behind it. As yo=
u suggest, and as I hinted in the draft, we could look at other mechanis=
ms in other protocols, and move the discussion to a higher level and mak=
e it into a BOF.
>>=20
>>=20
>> *From: *"Lucas Pardue" <lucas@lucaspardue.com>
>> *To: *"Franck Martin" <franck@peachymango.org>
>> *Cc: *"witarea" <witarea@ietf.org>
>> *Sent: *Thursday, July 2, 2026 6:07:05 PM
>> *Subject: *[Witarea] Re: draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting r=
eview/additional comments
>>=20
>> The Internet is for end users [1]. Standardizing technology or proces=
s that actively encourages operators to deprive end users the ability to=
 access services via the Internet does not seem like a positive outcome =
to me.
>>=20
>> Operators can today, of their own volition, reject HTTP requests for =
any reason and return information in responses that can convey the reaso=
ning.=20
>>=20
>> The proposal in the document would appear to pushing the burden on so=
ftware and end users to take responsibility for reacting to a decision b=
y an operator to reject an end user due to using a client IPv4 address s=
eems out of proportion.
>>=20
>> If you want to propose using HTTP to support driving arbitrary target=
 set for a layer of the stack that is mostly irrelevant to HTTP, the dis=
cussion should start with consulting the HTTP community on the problem s=
tatement.
>>=20
>> Cheers
>> Lucas
>>=20
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2026, at 23:42, Franck Martin wrote:
>>> I try to qualify as much as I can in the draft of why this is needed=
. Please read at least the draft introduction, and if it is not making t=
he following points, I need to fix it.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> The first point is that we may need something like this on the Inter=
net in maybe 10 years from now.
>>>=20
>>> The second more important point is that it is needed now within some=
one-controlled boundary. However, within this boundary, one never contro=
ls all the software present, and no company would maintain patched versi=
ons of gRPC, RESTLi, Curl, web browsers, observability software... it re=
quires a common implementation guidance.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Franck
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> *From: *"Lucas Pardue" <lucas@lucaspardue.com>
>>> *To: *"witarea" <witarea@ietf.org>
>>> *Sent: *Wednesday, July 1, 2026 3:19:00 PM
>>> *Subject: *[Witarea] Re: draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting =
review/additional comments
>>>=20
>>> Wearing no hats.
>>>=20
>>> Having skimmed the threads I don't think thst spending any standards=
 effort on this is worthwhile. For example, a part of the linked spec st=
ates the proposal could be used in environments where the client and ser=
ver have a shared administration. If so, they can do whatever they like.
>>>=20
>>> A standard for this type of thing raises so many questions for actua=
l common deployments of HTTP. Addressing them may be possible but I don'=
t anticipate Internet deployment would end up caring to do anything.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2026, at 21:27, Franck Martin wrote:
>>>> Hi Mirja,
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> Good suggestion.
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> Folks on httpbis,
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> This is about _draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6._ <https://datatracker.=
ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6/>
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> It is about helping the retirement of IPv4 by providing some transi=
tion mechanisms. This is part of v6ops but it really needs some http exp=
ertise.
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> I'm not tied to a particular error code. I have tried to figure out=
 which class would be best, between 4xx and 5xx. Some folks even suggest=
ed using 3xx, but I'm worried about infinite loops.
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> It may help to understand this draft by placing it into a bigger co=
ntext, which is described in _draft-martin-deploying-ipv6-data-center._ =
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-deploying-ipv6-data-cente=
r/>
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> There is also a short discussion on Reddit: _https://www.reddit.com=
/r/ipv6/s/lBQCFI4ucI_
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> and some past thread on v6ops/witarea
>>>>=20
>>>> Franck Martin
>>>> https://www.peachymango.org/=20
>>>>=20
>>>>=20
>>>> *From: *"Mirja Kuehlewind" <mirja.kuehlewind@ericsson.com>
>>>> *To: *"Franck Martin" <franck@peachymango.org>, "v6ops" <v6ops@ietf=
.org>, "witarea" <witarea@ietf.org>
>>>> *Sent: *Wednesday, July 1, 2026 1:51:41 AM
>>>> *Subject: *Re: [Witarea] draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting=
 review/additional comments
>>>> Hi Franck,
>>>> you should probably also send this to the httpbis list.
>>>> Mirja
>>>> *From: *Franck Martin <franck@peachymango.org> on behalf of Franck =
Martin <franck@peachymango.org>
>>>> *Date: *Tuesday, 30. June 2026 at 20:49
>>>> *To: *v6ops <v6ops@ietf.org>, witarea <witarea@ietf.org>
>>>> *Subject: *[Witarea] draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting rev=
iew/additional comments=20
>>>> Hi all,=20
>>>> Some suggested that a 4xx code could be better, so I checked the pr=
os and cons and added language in this draft on the various aspects of 5=
66 vs 466. Also checked if there is any current behavior for common soft=
ware for retrying after any HTTP error code.
>>>> Spolier alert: 566 still seems better.it is not an error on the cli=
ent part, It is the server that refuses to honor the connection.
>>>> This new draft has this added language:=20
>>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6/=20
>>>> To be noted, I implemented this draft on my site: https://pacific.i=
pv6forum.com/ so that on the 6th of every month, IPv4 is not served. I h=
ad some implementation nits that prevented me from getting good logs. I =
hope this time I will have better logs, therefore better reports to shar=
e with folks.
>>>> In a couple of days, the site will show a banner announcing the IPv=
4 outage.
>>>> At the moment, I have not convinced a WG to formally =E2=80=9Chost=E2=
=80=9D the discussion. I won=E2=80=99t be able to attend IETF Vienna as =
to gather more support, but appreciate if some folks could be a proxy.
>>>> Franck Martin
>>>> https://www.peachymango.org=20
>>>> --=20
>>>> Witarea mailing list -- witarea@ietf.org
>>>> To unsubscribe send an email to witarea-leave@ietf.org
>>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> --
>>> Witarea mailing list -- witarea@ietf.org
>>> To unsubscribe send an email to witarea-leave@ietf.org
>>=20
>>=20
>> --
>> Witarea mailing list -- witarea@ietf.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to witarea-leave@ietf.org

--b522ce7233c05972c3cd622ab356facc132c126d
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title><style type=3D"text/css">=0A</=
style></head><body><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>On Fri, Jul 3, 202=
6, at 19:53, Franck Martin wrote:</div><blockquote type=3D"cite" id=3D"q=
t" style=3D""><div style=3D"font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;fon=
t-size:12pt;color:black;"><div>This is not an open or fair question.</di=
v></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>I disagree entirely. You propos=
al levies several requirements on clients. It should be cognisant of the=
 operating environments those clients need to run in. By all means rephr=
ase the question but the fundamental challenges for client implementers =
will stand. If client are not willing to change to address the IPv6 only=
 desires, then an effort to standardise requirements on them is unlikely=
 to succeed.</div><div><br></div><blockquote type=3D"cite" id=3D"qt" sty=
le=3D""><div style=3D"font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size=
:12pt;color:black;"><div><hr id=3D"qt-zwchr"><br></div><div><div><b>From=
: </b>"Lucas Pardue" &lt;lucas@lucaspardue.com&gt;</div><div><b>To: </b>=
"Franck Martin" &lt;franck@peachymango.org&gt;</div><div><b>Cc: </b>"wit=
area" &lt;witarea@ietf.org&gt;</div><div><b>Sent: </b>Friday, July 3, 20=
26 11:47:05 AM</div><div><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Witarea] Re: draft-martin-=
retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting review/additional comments</div></div><div=
><br></div><div><div>Here's the type question you want to pose to the HT=
TP community:</div><div><br></div><div>"Some operators might want to lim=
it the access to their services, for unexplained reasons, based solely o=
n what they think a client IP might be. As a client implementation maint=
ainer, would you be willing to add complexity and security/privacy/relia=
bility risks to your codebase in order to support automatic actions in y=
our discovery and connection selection logic?"</div><div><br></div><div>=
If the answer is no, then utilising existing HTTP extension points to si=
gnal information in responses so that they are surfaced to end users see=
m like a fine compromise for the foreseeable future. And it requires no =
IETF standards action.</div><div><br></div><div>On Fri, Jul 3, 2026, at =
19:12, Franck Martin wrote:</div><blockquote id=3D"qt-qt"><div style=3D"=
font-family:&quot;arial&quot;, &quot;helvetica&quot;, sans-serif;font-si=
ze:12pt;color:black;"><div>The community on IPv6/IPv4 has always been di=
vided. There are some for and some against deployment of IPv6, with some=
 strong opinions. I'm trying to not be in any camp, except I'm thinking =
now of the future on how to best remove IPv4 as this is not easy and the=
re is very little help.</div><div><br></div><div>Based on my past experi=
ence and the experience in the community (I have been deploying IPv6 for=
 more than 20 years, while trying to retire IPv4, and in very large/huge=
 deployments), some (law makers) have decided to terminate IPv4, as desc=
ribed in the introduction of the draft. They are few, but I believe the =
number will slowly rise. Now if they have decided to terminate IPv4, how=
 the IETF can provide us, the maintainers of all those systems, with too=
ls to do it as safely as possible to as you mention, minimize the impact=
 on end users. There is also the case that technology like K8S is ghastl=
y over IPv4, and IPv6-only deployments is more cost effective, if all th=
e rest follows.</div><div><br></div><div><span style=3D"color:black;font=
-style:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text=
-transform:none;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255, 255, 255);flo=
at:none;display:inline !important;"><span class=3D"font" style=3D"font-f=
amily:&quot;arial&quot;, &quot;helvetica&quot;, sans-serif;"><span class=
=3D"size" style=3D"font-size:16px;">This is the purpose of this draft, i=
t is not to mandate, but to propose: if you have to shut down IPv4, here=
 is a way to reach that goal safely. At the moment, I don't know any saf=
e way to do it, and I wish I had that tool to minimize the risk. I expla=
in that part in the IPv6 migration in data centers draft. You can ensure=
 your application works over IPv6-only, but it is very hard to do a reli=
able inventory of all the clients, and offer good roll backs, for the od=
d but very important client that represent less than 0.1% of the calls t=
hat you did not found in your analysis.</span></span></span></div><div><=
br></div><div>Side note, I found the talk on reddit to be very healthy w=
ith many weighting the pros and cons of various options. I think we can =
have the same here at the IETF, before shutting the door on this proposa=
l outright.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, I thought the community is he=
re too, so I'm doing just this, consulting the community with a proposal=
 and the rational behind it. As you suggest, and as I hinted in the draf=
t, we could look at other mechanisms in other protocols, and move the di=
scussion to a higher level and make it into a BOF.</div><div><br></div><=
div><hr id=3D"qt-qt-zwchr"><br></div><div><div><b>From: </b>"Lucas Pardu=
e" &lt;lucas@lucaspardue.com&gt;</div><div><b>To: </b>"Franck Martin" &l=
t;franck@peachymango.org&gt;</div><div><b>Cc: </b>"witarea" &lt;witarea@=
ietf.org&gt;</div><div><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, July 2, 2026 6:07:05 PM</d=
iv><div><b>Subject: </b>[Witarea] Re: draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 re=
questing review/additional comments</div></div><div><br></div><div><div>=
The Internet is for end users [1]. Standardizing technology or process t=
hat actively encourages operators to deprive end users the ability to ac=
cess services via the Internet does not seem like a positive outcome to =
me.</div><div><br></div><div>Operators can today, of their own volition,=
 reject HTTP requests for any reason and return information in responses=
 that can convey the reasoning.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The propo=
sal in the document would appear to pushing the burden on software and e=
nd users to take responsibility for reacting to a decision by an operato=
r to reject an end user due to using a client IPv4 address seems out of =
proportion.</div><div><br></div><div>If you want to propose using HTTP t=
o support driving arbitrary target set for a layer of the stack that is =
mostly irrelevant to HTTP, the discussion should start with consulting t=
he HTTP community on the problem statement.</div><div><br></div><div>Che=
ers</div><div>Lucas</div><div><br></div><div>On Thu, Jul 2, 2026, at 23:=
42, Franck Martin wrote:</div><blockquote id=3D"qt-qt-qt"><div style=3D"=
font-family:&quot;arial&quot;, &quot;helvetica&quot;, sans-serif;font-si=
ze:12pt;color:black;"><div><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;m=
argin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;fo=
nt-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:blac=
k;">I try to qualify as much as I can in the draft of why this is needed=
. Please read at least the draft introduction, and if it is not making t=
he following points, I need to fix it.</p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;mar=
gin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-w=
eight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&q=
uot;;color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;ma=
rgin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-=
weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&=
quot;;color:black;">The first point is that we may need something like t=
his on the Internet in maybe 10 years from now.</p><p style=3D"margin-to=
p:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:norm=
al;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quo=
t;arial&quot;;color:black;">The second more important point is that it i=
s needed now within someone-controlled boundary. However, within this bo=
undary, one never controls all the software present, and no company woul=
d maintain patched versions of gRPC, RESTLi, Curl, web browsers, observa=
bility software... it requires a common implementation guidance.</p></di=
v><div><br></div><div>Franck</div><div><br></div><div><hr id=3D"qt-qt-qt=
-zwchr"><br></div><div><div><b>From: </b>"Lucas Pardue" &lt;lucas@lucasp=
ardue.com&gt;</div><div><b>To: </b>"witarea" &lt;witarea@ietf.org&gt;</d=
iv><div><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, July 1, 2026 3:19:00 PM</div><div><b>Sub=
ject: </b>[Witarea] Re: draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting revie=
w/additional comments</div></div><div><br></div><div><div>Wearing no hat=
s.</div><div><br></div><div>Having skimmed the threads I don't think ths=
t spending any standards effort on this is worthwhile. For example, a pa=
rt of the linked spec states the proposal could be used in environments =
where the client and server have a shared administration. If so, they ca=
n do whatever they like.</div><div><br></div><div>A standard for this ty=
pe of thing raises so many questions for actual common deployments of HT=
TP. Addressing them may be possible but I don't anticipate Internet depl=
oyment would end up caring to do anything.</div><div><br></div><div><br>=
</div><div>On Wed, Jul 1, 2026, at 21:27, Franck Martin wrote:</div><blo=
ckquote id=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt"><div style=3D"font-family:&quot;arial&quot;, =
&quot;helvetica&quot;, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:black;"><div><p s=
tyle=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0p=
x;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal=
;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;">Hi Mirja,</p><p style=3D"ma=
rgin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-sty=
le:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-fami=
ly:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"m=
argin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-st=
yle:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-fam=
ily:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;">Good suggestion.</p><p style=3D"marg=
in-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style=
:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family=
:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"mar=
gin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-styl=
e:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-famil=
y:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;">Folks on httpbis,</p><p style=3D"margi=
n-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:=
normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:=
&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"marg=
in-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style=
:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family=
:&quot;arial&quot;;color:rgb(66, 1, 120);"><span style=3D"color:black;">=
This is about <a href=3D"https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-r=
etry-over-ipv6/" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener n=
oreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"><span style=3D=
"color:rgb(66, 1, 120);"><u>draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6.</u></span></a>=
</span></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px=
;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;lin=
e-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;min-height:18p=
x;"><br></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0p=
x;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;li=
ne-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;">It is about=
 helping the retirement of IPv4 by providing some transition mechanisms.=
 This is part of v6ops but it really needs some http expertise.</p><p st=
yle=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px=
;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;=
font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p s=
tyle=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0p=
x;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal=
;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;">I'm not tied to a particula=
r error code. I have tried to figure out which class would be best, betw=
een 4xx and 5xx. Some folks even suggested using 3xx, but I'm worried ab=
out infinite loops.</p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margi=
n-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-s=
ize:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;mi=
n-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;marg=
in-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-=
size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;color:black;"=
>It may help to understand this draft by placing it into a bigger contex=
t, which is described in <a href=3D"https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/dra=
ft-martin-deploying-ipv6-data-center/" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferr=
er nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"=
_blank"><span style=3D"color:rgb(66, 1, 120);"><u>draft-martin-deploying=
-ipv6-data-center.</u></span></a></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-r=
ight:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weight=
:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;;=
color:black;min-height:18px;"><br></p><p style=3D"margin-top:0px;margin-=
right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font-style:normal;font-weigh=
t:normal;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;arial&quot;=
;color:rgb(0, 0, 233);"><span style=3D"color:black;">There is also a sho=
rt discussion on Reddit: <span style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 233);"><u><a hre=
f=3D"https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/s/lBQCFI4ucI" rel=3D"nofollow noopene=
r noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/s/lBQCFI4ucI</a></u></sp=
an></span></p></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>and some past thr=
ead on v6ops/witarea</div><div><br></div><div>Franck Martin</div><div><a=
 href=3D"https://www.peachymango.org/" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferr=
er nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"=
_blank">https://www.peachymango.org/</a>&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>=
<hr id=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-zwchr"><br></div><div><div><b>From: </b>"Mirja Kue=
hlewind" &lt;mirja.kuehlewind@ericsson.com&gt;</div><div><b>To: </b>"Fra=
nck Martin" &lt;franck@peachymango.org&gt;, "v6ops" &lt;v6ops@ietf.org&g=
t;, "witarea" &lt;witarea@ietf.org&gt;</div><div><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday,=
 July 1, 2026 1:51:41 AM</div><div><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Witarea] draft-m=
artin-retry-over-ipv6-02 requesting review/additional comments</div></di=
v><div><div class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-WordSection1"><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-M=
soNormal"><span class=3D"size" style=3D"font-size:11pt;">Hi Franck,</spa=
n></p><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal"><span class=3D"size" style=3D"f=
ont-size:11pt;">you should probably also send this to the httpbis list.<=
/span></p><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal"><span class=3D"size" style=3D=
"font-size:11pt;">Mirja</span></p><div style=3D"border-right-width:mediu=
m;border-bottom-width:medium;border-left-width:medium;border-right-style=
:none;border-bottom-style:none;border-left-style:none;border-top-width:1=
pt;border-top-style:solid;border-top-color:rgb(181, 196, 223);padding-to=
p:3pt;padding-right:0cm;padding-bottom:0cm;padding-left:0cm;"><p class=3D=
"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;"><b><span style=3D"co=
lor:black;"><span class=3D"font" style=3D"font-family:&quot;calibri&quot=
;, sans-serif;">From: </span></span></b><span style=3D"color:black;"><sp=
an class=3D"font" style=3D"font-family:&quot;calibri&quot;, sans-serif;"=
>Franck Martin &lt;franck@peachymango.org&gt; on behalf of Franck Martin=
 &lt;franck@peachymango.org&gt;<br> <b>Date: </b>Tuesday, 30. June 2026 =
at 20:49<br> <b>To: </b>v6ops &lt;v6ops@ietf.org&gt;, witarea &lt;witare=
a@ietf.org&gt;<br> <b>Subject: </b>[Witarea] draft-martin-retry-over-ipv=
6-02 requesting review/additional comments</span></span><span class=3D"s=
ize" style=3D"font-size:12pt;">&nbsp;</span></p></div><p class=3D"qt-qt-=
qt-qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;">Hi all,<span class=3D"size"=
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;">&nbsp;</span></p><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt=
-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;">Some suggested that a 4xx code c=
ould be better, so I checked the pros and cons and added language in thi=
s draft on the various aspects of 566 vs 466. Also checked if there is a=
ny current behavior for common software=0A for retrying after any HTTP e=
rror code.</p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"mar=
gin-left:36pt;">Spolier alert: 566 still seems better.it is not an error=
 on the client part, It is the server that refuses to honor the connecti=
on.</p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-lef=
t:36pt;">This new draft has this added language:<span class=3D"size" sty=
le=3D"font-size:12pt;">&nbsp;</span></p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-=
qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;"><a href=3D"https://datatracker=
.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6/" rel=3D"nofollow noopener no=
referrer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofol=
low noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://datatracker.ietf.org/=
doc/draft-martin-retry-over-ipv6/</a><span class=3D"size" style=3D"font-=
size:12pt;">&nbsp;</span></p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNorma=
l" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;">To be noted, I implemented this draft on =
my site:&nbsp;<a href=3D"https://pacific.ipv6forum.com/" rel=3D"nofollow=
 noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener nore=
ferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://pacific.i=
pv6forum.com/</a> so that on the 6th of every month, IPv4 is not served.=
 I had some implementation nits=0A that prevented me from getting good l=
ogs. I hope this time I will have better logs, therefore better reports =
to share with folks.</p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal" st=
yle=3D"margin-left:36pt;">In a couple of days, the site will show a bann=
er announcing the IPv4 outage.</p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-Mso=
Normal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;">At the moment, I have not convinced =
a WG to formally =E2=80=9Chost=E2=80=9D the discussion. I won=E2=80=99t =
be able to attend IETF Vienna as to gather more support, but appreciate =
if some folks could be a proxy.</p></div><div><p class=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-Ms=
oNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;">Franck Martin</p></div><div><p clas=
s=3D"qt-qt-qt-qt-MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-left:36pt;"><a href=3D"https=
://www.peachymango.org/" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow no=
opener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.peachymango.org</a>&nbsp;</p></div></=
div></div></div><div>--&nbsp;</div><div>Witarea mailing list --&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"mailto:witarea@ietf.org" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer nof=
ollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
">witarea@ietf.org</a></div><div>To unsubscribe send an email to&nbsp;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:witarea-leave@ietf.org" rel=3D"nofollow noopener norefer=
rer nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow noopener noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">witarea-leave@ietf.org</a></div><div><br></div></blockquote><di=
v><br></div><div><br></div><div>--</div><div>Witarea mailing list -- wit=
area@ietf.org</div><div>To unsubscribe send an email to witarea-leave@ie=
tf.org</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>=
--</div><div>Witarea mailing list -- witarea@ietf.org</div><div>To unsub=
scribe send an email to witarea-leave@ietf.org</div></div></div></blockq=
uote></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div></body></html>
--b522ce7233c05972c3cd622ab356facc132c126d--

