Re: Request for Whois

dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov Sat, 09 October 1993 04:55 UTC

To: Francisco Mori Leandro <fmori@amauta.rcp.net.pe>
Cc: ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu, dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Request for Whois
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1993 21:27:38 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov

note: horton also available from punisher.caltech.edu:pub/dank/uwho.
- Dan Kegel

sipb.mit.edu:/pub/whois/whois-servers.source

List of publicly available whois-server source code, 4 May 1993
(Version 1.4)

This list was collected and compiled by Matt Power of M.I.T.

Questions or comments about this list should be sent to the address:

    mhpower@athena.mit.edu

1. Horton

  The following was taken from the README file for Horton 1.7:

  DESCRIPTION
      Horton was written to provide an automatic way of creating
      a directory of electronic mail addresses.  Users can
      look up e-mail addresses knowing only a fragment of
      the name or username of the person in question, with
      the command
          whois -h horton_server search_key
      where
          horton_server is the name of the computer running Horton
          search_key  is the fragment of the name
      All people whose name or username match the pattern
      are listed, one per line.

  AUTHOR
      Dan Kegel (dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov)

  Anonymous FTP locations: wuarchive.wustl.edu:/usenet/alt.sources/articles/5742.Z (for version 1.8)
                           nuri.inria.fr:/network/mail/horton-1.7.tar.Z

2. California State University Sacramento Name Lookup Service

  The following was excerpted from the nls.doc file available from
  the anonymous FTP site listed below:

Copyright (c) 1990, 1991 by California State University Sacramento.
Written by Robert Hood under the inspiration of John F. Sandhoff.

This software is being provided free of charge and may be distributed providing
this notice remains. While comments are welcome no commitment is expressed or
implied that California State University Sacramento will support this product.
Contact the authors by mailing to sandhoff@csus.edu and hoodr@csus.edu.

The Name Lookup Service (NLS) provides an electronic directory service. Its
purpose is to respond to outside queries for general information about a large
group of individuals. An example of the usefulness of NLS is when you wish to
send electronic mail to another user, you know his name and his campus
affiliation but have no idea what his E-mail address is. NLS provides the means
to obtain that information.

After installation the Name Lookup Service can be accessed by either the
finger mechanism (e.g. 'finger john@csus.edu') or the whois facility (e.g.
'whois -h csus.edu john'). A mail responder has been designed and will be
implemented in the future.

The Name Lookup Service uses a sequential Ascii database with tag fields.

  Anonymous FTP location: csus.edu:/pub/nls/nls-1.21.tar.Z

3. California Institute of Technology WHOIS server

  Whois servers for both UNIX and VMS/Multinet TCP/IP implementations
  are distributed by Caltech. The programs were written by Eric Smith.
  The distribution includes source code for the system daemon, and for
  a utility that converts an ASCII file of user-directory information
  into a binary format.

  This server may not be used for profit or commercial use. Source
  code comments indicating the author may not be removed. Use of
  this software is at the user's own risk. Bug reports can be sent
  back to Caltech, but Caltech does not guarantee that any fixes
  will be supplied.

  Anonymous FTP location: hamlet.caltech.edu:ANON_ROOT:[000000.WHOIS_UNIX]
                                             ANON_ROOT:[000000.WHOIS_VMS]

4. LDAP-WHOIS++

  DESCRIPTION
      Ldap-whois++ is a whois++ server implemented as an X.500 DUA
      interface using an X.500 directory as its database via the
      lightweight directory access protocol (ldap). This server
      requires that the whois data to be served already exist in an
      X.500 directory and that the server connects to this directory
      via an ldap server.

      The query language used is the work of the IETF WNILS working
      group and is currently only available as an Internet Draft.

  AUTHOR
      Mark R. Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au>

  Anonymous FTP location: ftp.adelaide.edu.au:/pub/whois/whois++beta.tar.Z

  (The ldap implementation used is available from a number of
   anonymous FTP locations, including
      archie.au:/projects/directory-services/isode/ldap-2.0.tar.Z
      terminator.cc.umich.edu:/x500/ldap-2.0.tar.Z
  )

"Documentation", and other comments...

Redistribution
--------------
If you redistribute this list, or excerpt a significant number of
entries from it, be sure to also pass along the original anonymous-FTP
location, and request that updates be sent to my e-mail address, as
specified at the top of this file. This will allow users to obtain
updated versions at a later time, and will help ensure that I get the
information I need to do the updating.

Note: I'm not currently working on tracking down whois-server source
code locations. I will insert new entries into this file if they are
sent to me. I believe there are a number of useful source-code
alternatives that are not described here.