Directory Services Work coordination proposal

"Erik Huizer (SURFnet BV)" <Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl> Thu, 11 November 1993 12:21 UTC

To: RARE & IETF OSI-DS wg <osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu
Cc: apples@surfnet.nl
Subject: Directory Services Work coordination proposal
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 12:52:44 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Erik Huizer (SURFnet BV)" <Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl>

Here's a new version of the document I worked on during the Houston IETF. I
think I incorporated all comments I received, and thankfully there were
many. Rather than starting a discussion on further refinements of the doc, I
suggest we use it as the basis for further discussions. That should lead to
a set of WGs that work on issues common to all IETF Directory Services
efforts.

As a follow-up to this note I'd like to ask Sri to send out the list of WGs
that OSI-DS identified so far, so we can get input on this from the WNILS
people. Furthermore, I suggest that we try to finalise what we can thru
E-mail discussions. Experience has shown that face to face meetings are
needed however. I therefore propose that in Seattle we reserve a slot on
monday morning where we (if still necessary) discuss the common issues, and
create (:-) concensus. Whatever WGs we spin-off will benefit from this later
that week.

Erik
-----------------
  Coordination of IETF Applications Area White Pages
                        Efforts
                A paper for discussion
                      Erik Huizer

Introduction

A white pages service (WPS) is a distributed database service
that contains (contact) information on people and that is
accessible to users over the network. There is an increasing
demand for such a WPS on the Internet. One possible solution to
offering a WPS is the ISO/CCITT directory service X.500. Although
X.500 can be used as a WPS, the cost of installing a X.500 WPS
and the lack of available and interworking products is perceived
by many to be inhibiting. The usage of X.500 as a WPS on the
Internet is growing, though currently the high entry cost prevent
it from being used ubiquitously.

Parallel to X.500 several other efforts are starting to take
place on the Internet to provide a low entry cost WPS. The IETF
cannot enforce a ubiquitous WPS for the Internet based on a
single protocol. (Maybe that opportunity was there several years
ago; it certainly is no longer there). This paper suggests a way
in which some of the common ground in WPS efforts within the IETF
can be coordinated to hopefully minimise interworking problems,
and thus maximise functionality for an Internet WPS.

Note: This paper does not propose to create THE final WPS
protocol, it tries to provide a framework in which common issues
(like data structure) in various proposals (specifically WHOIS++
and X.500) can be solved by a common pool of experts.

Current situation

With respect to WPS there are currently four separate efforts
going on in the Applications and User Services areas of the IETF:
-    IDS; This WG deals with issues pertaining to deployment of a
    WPS that are protocol independent; e.g. Data management,
    organizational and legal issues.
-    OSI-DS; This WG deals with technical issues concerning
    deployment of X.500 on the Internet for WPS and Yellow Pages
    Service usage.
-    WNILS; This WG deals with extending the existing whois
service (WHOIS++).
-    Finger.

Both X.500 and WHOS are used (either as a pilot or as a service)
by various sites on the Internet. In addition other WPS (not IETF
originated) are being deployed like netfind, whois and CSO.
These, mostly unconnected, WPS do not provide the user with the
ubiquitous service that he or she wishes for.
Two approaches

This section describes two approaches that can be followed in the
IETF to produce common standards to allow the deployment of a WPS
that does meet the users requirements.

The meta-WPS approach. (suggested by M.T. Rose and others)
The rationale for this approach is that it builds on current
practices, while striving to provide a ubiquitous directory
service. Since there are various efforts going on to develop WPS
based on various different protocols, one can envisage a future
with a meta-WPS that uses a combination of an intelligent User
Agent and a distributed indexing service to access the requested
data from any available WPS. The user perceived functionality of
such a meta-WPS will necessarily be restricted to the lowest
common denominator.  One will hope that through "market" forces,
the number of protocols used will decrease (or converge), and
that the functionality will increase.

The common ground approach.
This approach aims to provide the ubiquitous WPS with a high
functionality and a low entry cost. This is done by singling out
issues that are common for various competing WPS and coordinate
work on these in specific and dedicated WGs (e.g. datamodel
coordination). The IETF will continue development of X.500 and
WHOIS++ as two separate entities.  The work on these two
protocols will be broken down in various small and focussed WGs
that address specific technical issues, using ideas from both
X.500 and WHOIS++.  The goal being to produce common standards
for information formats, datamodel and access protocols. Where
possible the results of such a WG will be used in both WHOIS++
and X.500, although it is envisaged that several WGs may work on
issues that remain specific to one of the protocols. The IDS WG
continues to work on non-protocol specific issues. To achieve
coordination that leads to convergence rather than divergence,
the applications area directorate (apples) will provide guidance
to the Application Area Directors as well as to the various WGs
and the User Services Area Council (usac) will provide the
necessary user perspective.

It is obvious that these two approaches are not mutually
exclusive. As there is already a constituency for  WHOIS++ and
for X.500, work on the second approach seems feasible. Work on
the first approach may be taken up whenever there is constituency
in the IETF to persue this.

Suggested workitems

The following non-exclusive list of issues will need to be
addressed in the second approach as described above:
-    Lightweight protocols for access, and synchronisation.
-    Data stucture and schema(management)
-    Use of indexing servers (centroids/indexed DSAs)
-    (Cross system) searching
-    Data management (data entry and maintenance)
-    Legal issues
-    Deployment guidelines
-    Authentication and accesscontrol

And some non-WP issues
-    Use of Directory for storage of data for network Management
-    Use of Directory for URN to URL resolution

How to proceed

The IETF IDS, WHOIS++ and Internet X.500 WGs should start a
discussion using the list above as a starting point, to identify
the "common ground" issues and spin off WGs to work on these. The
IDS WG could add to the discussion by publishing a list of
available tools for White Pages Services.