Re: Directory Services Work coordination proposal

pays@faugeres.inria.fr Sat, 13 November 1993 05:58 UTC

Date: 13 Nov 93 06:05:49+0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
To: jcurran@nic.near.net, ses@hillary.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Directory Services Work coordination proposal
cc: Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl, apples@surfnet.nl, ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu, leiner@nsipo.nasa.gov, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu

Simon, I begin to share your optimism, with all the nice ideas
making their way trough

I just wanted to point out the fact that a WPS will certainly soon
have plenty of usage which will not come from interactuve users
but from application lookups (eg. getting someone certficate
for secure messaging a la X509 or PEM) and that the proposed solution
for WPS should really easily and soon  allow for this type of universal
binding between a name (probably organisational) and some
attributes. And the need is now, as many people are now developping
tools/products with that kind of requirements; it would be a pity
to see many proprietary solutions spread out just because
there is no clear indication of what are the choices for this
rather simple need.

I hope we can combine answering now this type of demand while
still working designing more advanced features planned to
plug in the first part

-- PAP