Re: Directory Services Work coordination proposal

Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp> Sat, 13 November 1993 00:35 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: Directory Services Work coordination proposal
To: Simon E Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1993 09:07:18 -0000
Cc: leiner@nsipo.nasa.gov, Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu, apples@surfnet.nl

> I think there have been two major philosphical breakthroughs that make
> me much more hopeful for the future of a globally useful white pages
> service.

I think white page is a, so called, database.

> The first breakthrough is the death of the universal namespace; like
> Russel's universal set, there is no one directory name space that can be
> used for general purpose searching. An arbritrary namespace can be created
> to optimise simple directory lookups, but assigning deeper meaning to the
> name is an exercise in futility.

What's wrong with a relational database? Isn't it universal enough?

>   Another technique is allowing each directory server to be a member of
> multiple hierachies. The examples used in the whois++ index architecture
> document were "topological", "geographical", and "administrative".

Those are important access methods. But if you are proposing to provide
indeces to several would-be-important hierarchies only and prohibiting
global search, I don't think it good database.

						Masataka Ohta