WHOIS++ Architecture Doc - Draft 6 april

Rickard Schoultz <schoultz@sunet.se> Wed, 06 April 1994 15:17 UTC

To: ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu
Subject: WHOIS++ Architecture Doc - Draft 6 april
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 1994 16:36:55 +0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Rickard Schoultz <schoultz@sunet.se>

Here is the draft that was worked out during the Seattle IETF meeting.
-Rickard

Network Working Group                                      Peter Deutsch
INTERNET DRAFT                                Bunyip information systems
Expires: 6 November 94                                  Rickard Schoultz
                                                                  KTHNOC
                                                        Patrik Faltstrom
                                                                     KTH
                                                            Chris Weider
                                              Bunyip information systems

                                                              6 April 94

                  Architecture of the WHOIS++ service

STATUS OF THIS MEMO

     This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
     documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
     and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
     working documents as Internet-Drafts.

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
     months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
     documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts
     as reference material or to cite them other than as ``work in
     progress.''

     To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
     ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet- Drafts
     Shadow Directories on ds.internic.net (US East Coast),
     nic.nordu.net (Europe), ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast), or
     munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim).

Abstract

     This document describes WHOIS++, an extension to the trivial WHOIS
     service described in RFC 954 to permit WHOIS-like servers to make
     available more structured information to the Internet.  We describe
     an extension to the simple WHOIS data model and query protocol and
     a companion extensible, distributed indexing service.  A number of
     options have also been added such as the use of multiple languages
     and character sets, more advanced search expressions, structured
     data and a number of other useful features.  An optional authenti-
     cation mechanism for protecting all or part of the associated
     WHOIS++ information database from unauthorized access is also

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 1]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     described.

     [Gargano94] describes the use of WHOIS++ for a general information
     lookup service. The additional architectural issues and commands
     added to support the distributed indexing service are described in
     [Weider93]. This present document should be read in conjunction
     with these additional references.

1.
                       Part I - WHOIS++ Overview

1.1.  Purpose and Motivation

     The current NIC WHOIS service [HARR85] is used to provide a very
     limited directory service, serving information about a small number
     of Internet users registered with the DDN NIC. Over time the basic
     service has been expanded to serve additional information and simi-
     lar services have also been set up on other hosts. Unfortunately,
     these additions and extensions have been done in an ad hoc and
     uncoordinated manner.

     The basic WHOIS information model represents each individual record
     as a Rolodex-like collection of text. Each record has a unique
     identifier (or handle), but otherwise is assumed to have little
     structure. The current service allows users to issue searches for
     individual strings within individual records, as well as searches
     for individual record handles using a very simple query-response
     protocol.

     Despite its utility, the current NIC WHOIS service cannot function
     as a general White Pages service for the entire Internet. Given the
     inability of a single server to offer guaranteed response or relia-
     bility, the huge volume of traffic that a full scale directory ser-
     vice will generate and the potentially huge number of users of such
     a service, such a trivial architecture is obviously unsuitable for
     the current Internet's needs for information services.

     This document describes the architecture and protocol for WHOIS++,
     a simple, distributed and extensible information lookup service
     based upon a small set of extensions to the original WHOIS informa-
     tion model.  These extensions allow the new service to address the
     community's needs for a simple directory service, yet the extensi-
     ble architecture is expected to also allow it to find application
     in a number of other information service areas.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 2]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     Added features include an extension to the trivial WHOIS data model
     and query protocol and a companion extensible, distributed indexing
     service. A number of other options have also been added, like
     boolean operators, more powerful search constraints and search
     methods and most specificly structured the data to make both the
     client and the server part of the dialogue more stringent and
     parseable. An optional authentication mechanism for protecting all
     or parts of the associated WHOIS++ information database from unau-
     thorized access is also briefly described.

     An outline of the use of WHOIS++ for a general information lookup
     service is in [Gargano93]. The additional architectural issues and
     commands added to support an optional distributed indexing service
     are described in [Weider93]. This present document should be read
     in conjunction with these additional references.

     The basic architecture of WHOIS++ allows distributed maintenance of
     the directory contents and the use of the WHOIS++ indexing service
     for locating additional WHOIS servers. Although a general overview
     of this service is included for completeness, the reader is
     referred to [Weider93] for full details of the indexing extensions.

1.2.  Basic Information Model

     Our extensions to the existing WHOIS service are centered upon a
     recommendation to structure user information around a series of
     standardized information templates, such as to those described by
     [IAFA1]. Such templates consist of ordered sets of data elements
     (or attribute-value pairs) and a number of groups at the IETF are
     now working on standardizing their format and content [IAFA],
     [NIR].

     It is intended that adding such structured templates to a server
     and subsequently identifying and searching them be simple tasks.
     The creation and use of customized templates should also be possi-
     ble with little effort, although their use should be discouraged
     where appropriate standardized templates exist.

     We also offer a set of extensions to the trivial protocol described
     in RFC954 [HARR85] to allow the user to constrain searches to
     desired attributes or template types, in addition to the existing
     commands for specifying handles or simple strings.

     It is expected that the minimalist approach we have taken will find
     application where the high cost of configuring and operating tradi-
     tional White Pages services can not currently be justified.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 3]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     Also note that the new architecture makes no assumptions about the
     search and retrieval mechanisms used within individual servers.
     Operators are free to use dedicated database formats, fast indexing
     software or even provide gateways to other directory services to
     store and retrieve information, if desired.

     The WHOIS++ server simply functions as a known front end, offering
     a simple data model and communicating through a well known port and
     query protocol. The format of both queries and replies has been
     structured to allow the use of client software for generating
     searches and displaying the results. At the same time, some effort
     has been made to keep responses at least to some degree readible by
     humans, to ensure low entry cost and to ease debugging.

     The actual implemention details of of an individual WHOIS search
     engine are left to the imagination of the implementor and it is
     hoped that the simple, extensible approach taken will encourage
     experimentation and the development of improved search engines.

1.2.1.  Changes to the current WHOIS Model

     The current WHOIS service is based upon an extremely simple data
     model.  The NIC WHOIS database consists of a series of individual
     records, each of which is identified by a single unique identifer
     (the "handle"). Each record contains one or more lines of informa-
     tion. Currently, there is no structure or implicit ordering of this
     information, although by implication each record is concerned with
     information about a single user or service.

     We have implemented two basic changes to this model. First, we have
     structured the information within the database as collections of
     data elements, or simple attribute/value pairs. Each individual
     record contains a specified ordered set of these data elements.

     Secondly, we have introduced typing of the database records. In
     effect, each record is based upon one of a specified set of tem-
     plates, each containing a finite and specified number of data ele-
     ments. This allow users to easily limit searches to specific col-
     lections of information, such as information about users, services,
     abstracts of papers, descriptions of software, and so on.

     As a final extension, we require that each individual WHOIS++ data-
     base on the Internet be assigned a unique handle, analogous to the
     handle associated with each database record.

     The WHOIS++ database structure is shown in Fig. 1.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 4]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

1.2.2.  Registering WHOIS++ servers

     We propose that individual database handles be registered through
     the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (the IANA), ensuring their
     uniqueness. This will allow us to specify each WHOIS++ entry on the
     Internet as a unique record handle/WHOIS handle pair.

     A unique registered handle is preferable to using the host's IP
     address, since it is conceivable that the WHOIS++ server for a par-
     ticular domain may move over time.  If we preserve the unique
     WHOIS++ handle in such cases we have the option of using it for
     resource discovery and networked information retrieval (see [IIIR]
     for a discussion of resource and discovery and support issues).
     There are many ways of guaranteeing uniqueness of server handles;
     we will discuss them in a separate paper.

     We believe that organizing information around a series of such tem-
     plates will make it easier for administrators to gather and main-
     tain this information and thus encourage them to make such informa-
     tion available.  At the same time, as users become more familiar
     with the data elements available within specific templates they
     will be better able to specify their searches, leading to a more
     useful service.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 5]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

|   +  Single unique WHOIS++ database handle                           |
|              _______                 _______                _______  |
|    handle3  |..  .. |      handle6  |..  .. |     handle9  |..  .. | |
|            _______  |              _______  |             _______  | |
|  handle2  |..  .. |      handle5  |..  .. |     handle8  |..  .. |   |
|           _______ |               _______ |              _______ |   |
| handle1  |..  .. |      handle4  |..  .. |     handle7  |..  .. |    |
|          |..  .. |               |..  .. |              |..  .. |    |
|           -------                 -------                -------     |
|      Template                   Template               Template      |
|       Type 1                     Type 2                 Type 3       |
|      Fig.1 - Structure of a WHOIS++ database.                        |
| Notes: - Entire database is identified by a single unique WHOIS      |
|          handle.                                                     |
|        - Each record has a single unique handle and a specific set   |
|          of attributes, determined by the template type used.        |
|        - Each value associated with an attribute can be any ASCII    |
|          string up to a specified length.                            |

1.2.3.  The WHOIS++ Search Selection Mechanism

     The WHOIS++ search mechanism is intended to be extremely simple. A
     search command consists of one or more search terms, with an
     optional nvset of global constraints (specifiers that modify or
     control a search).

     Search terms allow the user to specify template type, attribute,
     value or handle that any record returns must satisfy. Each search
     term can have an optional set of local constraints that apply to
     only that term.

     A WHOIS++ database may be seen as a single rolodex-like collection
     of typed records.  Each term specifies a further constraint that
     the selected set of output records must satisfy. Each term may thus
     be thought of as performing a subtractive selection, in the sense
     that any record that does not fulfill the term is discarded from

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 6]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     the result set.  Boolean searches are possible by the use of AND,
     OR, NOT and parenthesis.

1.2.4.  The WHOIS++ Architecture

     The WHOIS++ directory service has an architecture which is
     separated into two components; the base level server, which is
     described in this paper, and a indexing server, which is described
     in [Weider94]. A single physical server can act as both a base
     level server and an indexing server.

     A base level server is one which contains only filled templates. An
     indexing server is one which contains forward knowledge (q.v.) and
     pointers to other indexing servers or base level servers.

1.3.  Indexing in WHOIS++

     Indexing in WHOIS++ is used to tie together many base level servers
     and index servers into a unified directory service.

     Each base level server and index server which wishes to participate
     in the unified directory service must generate "forward knowledge"
     for the entries it contains. One type of forward knowledge is the
     "centroid", discussed in [Weider94].

     An example of a centroid is as follows: if a whois++ server con-
     tained exactly three records, as follows:

        Record 1                        Record 2
        Template: User                  Template: User
        First-Name: John                First-Name: Joe
        Last-Name: Smith                Last-Name: Smith
        Favourite-Drink: Labatt Beer    Favourite-Drink: Molson Beer

        Record 3
        Template: Domain
        Domain-Name: foo.edu
        Contact-Name: Mike Foobar

        the centroid for this server would be

        Template:       User
        First-Name:     Joe

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 7]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                        John
        Last-Name:      Smith
        Favourite-Drink:Beer
                        Labatt
                        Molson

        Template:       Domain
        Domain-Name:    foo.edu
        Contact-Name:   Mike
                        Foobar

     An index server would then collect this centroid for this server as
     forward knowledge.

     Index servers can collect forward knowledge for any servers it
     wishes.  In effect, all of the servers that the index server knows
     about can be searched with a single query to the index server; the
     index server holds the forward knowledge along with pointers to the
     servers it indexes, and can refer the query to servers which might
     hold information which satisfies the query.

     Implementors of this protocol are strongly encouraged to incor-
     porate centroid generation abilities into their servers, and to
     read [Weider94] carefully.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 8]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                              ____             ____
top level                    |    |           |    |
whois index                  |    |           |    |
servers                       ----             ----

                        ____                ____
first level            |    |              |    |
whois index            |    |              |    |
servers                 ----                ----

                    ____                ____                ____
individual         |    |              |    |              |    |
whois servers      |    |              |    |              |    |
                    ----                ----                ----

Fig. 2 - Indexing system architecture.

1.4.  Getting Help

     Another extension to the basic WHOIS service is the requirement
     that all servers support at least a minimal set of help commands,
     allowing users to find out information about both the individual
     server and the entire WHOIS++ service itself. This is done in the
     context of the new extended information model by defining two
     specific template formats and requiring each server to offer at
     least one example of each record using these formats. The operator
     of each WHOIS service is therefor expected to have, as a minimum, a
     single example of SERVICES and HELP records, which can be accessed
     through appropriate commands.

1.4.1.  Minimum HELP Required

     Executing the command:

             DESCRIBE

     gives a brief information about the WHOIS++ server.

Deutsch, et al                                                  [Page 9]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     Executing the command:

             HELP

     gives a brief description of the WHOIS++ service itself.

     The text of both required helped records should contain pointers to
     additional help subjects that are available.

     Executing the command:

             HELP <searchstring>

     may give information on any topic.

1.5.  Options and Constraints

     The WHOIS++ service is based upon a minimal core set of commands
     and controlling constraints. A small set of additional optional
     commands and constraints can be supported. These would allow users
     to perform such tasks as provide security options, modify the
     information contents of a server or add multilingual support. The
     required set of WHOIS++ commands are summarized in section 2.2.
     WHOIS++ constraints are described in section 2.4. Optional commands
     and constraints are described in section 2.5.

1.6.  Formatting Responses

     The output returned by a WHOIS++ server is structured to allow
     machine parsing and automated handling. Of particular interest in
     the ability to return summary information about a search (without
     having to return the entire results) and the ability to encode
     graphics and other information, using the MIME message encoding
     format.

     All output of searches will be returned in one of six output for-
     mats, which will be one of FULL, ABRIDGED, HANDLE, SUMMARY,
     SERVERS-TO-ASK or MIME. Note that a conforming server is only
     required to support the first four formats.

     When available, SERVERS-TO-ASK format is used to indicate that a
     search cannot be completed but that one or more alternative WHOIS++
     servers may be able to perform the search.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 10]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     When available, MIME format is used to encode output in MIME format
     [BORE93] and [MOOR93]. This allows the response to include attri-
     bute values in different character sets.

     Details of each output format are specified in section 2.5.

1.7.  Reporting Warnings and Errors

     The formatted response of WHOIS++ commands allows the encoding of
     warning or error messages to simplify parsing and machine handling.
     The syntax of output formats are described in detail in section
     2.5, and details of WHOIS++ warnings and error conditions are given
     in section appendix E.

     All system messages are numerical, but can be tagged with text. It
     is the clients decision if the text is presented to the user.

1.8.  Privacy and Security Issues

     The basic WHOIS++ service was conceived as a simple, unauthenti-
     cated information lookup service, but there are occasions when
     authentication mechanisms are required. To handle such cases, an
     optional mechanism is provided for authenticating each WHOIS++
     transaction.

     The current identified authentication mechanism is PASSWORD, which
     uses simple password authentication. Any other scheme name used
     must begin with the characters "X-" and should thus be regarded as
     experimental and non-standard.

     Note that the WHOIS++ authentication mechanism does not dictate the
     actual authentication scheme used, it merely provides a framework
     for indicating that a particular transaction is to be authenti-
     cated, and the appropriate mechanisms to use. This mechanism is
     extensible and individual implementors are free to add additional
     mechanisms.

     This document includes a very simple authentication scheme where a
     combination of username and password is sent together with the
     search string so the server can verify that the user have access to
     the information. Note that this is NOT by any means a method recom-
     mended to secure the data itself because both password and informa-
     tion are tranferred unencrypted over the network.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 11]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     Given the unauthenticated nature that default services like white
     pages services are, it is easy to either forget the implications of
     this and just show all data to the public Internet, or think that
     Internet is so dangerous that information is hidden from the Inter-
     net so the whole idea of a global whitepages service is lost.
     Therefore the type of authentication scheme selected and the public
     nature of the Internet environment must still be taken into con-
     sideration when assessing the security and authentication of the
     information served.

     A more detailed exposition on security is outside the scope of this
     document.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 12]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

2.  Part II - WHOIS++ Implementation

2.1.  Introduction

     The WHOIS++ protocol specifies the interactions between a WHOIS
     client and a WHOIS server supporting the WHOIS++ extensions. These
     extensions are designed to be backwards compatible with existing
     servers, in the sense that a new server receiving any of the older
     commands specified in RFC 954 [HARR85] will behave in the same
     manner as the original NIC WHOIS server.

     Obviously, it is not possible to ensure desired behaviour if one of
     the extended commands is sent to an older WHOIS server, since the
     requested functionality is simply not there. Still, it would be
     possible to query whether the WHOIS++ command set is supported as
     an attribute for each WHOIS server in an appropriate services
     registry (which itself could be set up using a WHOIS++ server).
     Thus, in practice this should not be a problem. In addition, any
     such command sent to an older WHOIS server would simply be treated
     as a search term, and thus no harm should result.

     The small number of older servers, and the probability that at
     least some of the older servers will be converted to WHOIS++ as
     implementations become available, means that backwards compatibil-
     ity is not expected to be a problem in practice.

2.1.1.  The WHOIS++ interaction model

     A WHOIS++ server will normally listen for a TCP connections on the
     allocated WHOIS port (port 43) (although a WHOIS++ server can be
     accessed over any TCP connection). Once a connection is esta-
     blished, the server issues a banner message, then listens for
     input. The command specified in this input is processed and the
     results returned including an ending system message. If the
     optional HOLD constraint has not been specified the connection is
     then terminated.

     If the server supports the optional HOLD constraint, and this con-
     straint is specified as part of any command, the server continues
     to listen on the connection for another line of input. This cycle
     continues as long as the sender continues to append the required
     HOLD constraint to each subsequent command.

     At the same time, each server is permitted to set an optional
     timeout value (which should be indicated in the response to the

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 13]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     CONSTRAINTS command). If set, the server is free to terminate an
     idle connection at any time after this delay has passed with no
     input from the client. If the server terminates the connection due
     to timeout, it will be indicated by the system message. The timeout
     value is not changeable by the client.

2.2.  The WHOIS++ Command set

     There are two types of WHOIS++ commands - system commands and the
     WHOIS++ search command.

     The WHOIS++ command set consists of a core set of required systems
     commands, a single required search command and an set of optional
     system commands which support features that are not required by all
     servers. The set of required WHOIS++ system commands are listed in
     Table I. Details of the allowable search terms for the search com-
     mand are included in Table II.

     Each WHOIS++ command also allows the use of one or more controlling
     constraints, which select can be used to override defaults or oth-
     erwise modify server behavior. There is a core set of constraints
     that must be supported by all conforming servers. These include
     SEARCH (which controls the type of search performed), FORMAT (which
     determines the output format used) and MAXHITS (which determines
     the maximum number of matches that a a search can return). These
     required constraints are summarized in Table III.

     An additional set of optional constraints are used to provide sup-
     port for different character sets, indicate the need and type of
     authentication to perform on a transaction, and permit multiple
     transactions during a single communications session. These optional
     constraints are listed in Table IV.

     It is possible, using the required COMMANDS and CONSTRAINTS system
     commands, to query any WHOIS++ server for its list of supported
     commands and constraints.

2.2.1.  System Commands

     System commands are commands to the server for information or to
     control its operation. These include commands to list the template
     types available from individual servers, to obtain a single blank
     template of any available type, and commands to obtain the list of
     valid commands and constraints supported on a server.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 14]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     There are also commands to obtain the current version of the
     WHOIS++ protocol supported, to access a simple help subsystem, to
     obtain a brief description of the service (which is intended, among
     other things, to support the automated registration of the service
     by yellow pages directory services). All of these commands are
     required from a conforming WHOIS++ server.

Short  Long Form                               Functionality
-----  ---------                               -------------
       COMMANDS        [ ':' HOLD ]          list valid WHOIS++ commands
                                             supported by this server

       CONSTRAINTS     [ ':' HOLD ]          List valid constraints
                                             supported by this server

       DESCRIBE        [ ':' HOLD ]          Describe this server,
                                             formating the response using
                                             the standard IAFA "Services"
                                             template

 '?'   HELP [<string> [':' <cnstrnts>]]      System help, using standard
                                             IAFA "Help" template

       LIST [<string> [':' <cnstrnts>]]      List templates supported
                                             by this system

       POLLED-BY         [ ':' HOLD ]        List indexing servers
                                             that are know to track
                                             this server

       POLLED-FOR        [ ':' HOLD ]        List information about
                                             what this server is
                                             tracking for

       SHOW <string>     [':' <cnstrnts>]    Show contents of templates
                                             specified

       VERSION           [ ':' HOLD ]        return current version of
                                             the protocol supported.

Table I - Required WHOIS++ SYSTEM commands.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 15]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     Below follows a descriptions for each command. Examples of

2.2.1.1.  The COMMANDS command

     The COMMANDS command returns a list of commands that the server
     supports. The response is formatted as an ABRIDGED response.

2.2.1.2.  The CONSTRAINTS command

     The CONSTRAINTS command returns a list of constraints and the
     values of those that the server supports. The response is formatted
     as a FULL response, where every constraint is represented as a
     separate record. The template name for these records is CONSTRAINT.
     No attention is paid to record handles. Each record has, as a
     minimum, the following two fields:

     - "Constraint", which contains the attribute name described -
     "Default", which shows the default value for this constraint.

     If the client is permitted to change the value of the constraint,
     there is also:

     - "Range" field, which contains a list of values that this
       server supports, as a comma separated list; Or, if the range
       is numerical, as a pair of numbers separated with a hyphen.

2.2.1.3.  The DESCRIBE command

     This is equivalent to issuing the search command on the local
     server with only the terms "template=services" and
     "subject=describe" and will result in the display of the
     corresponding SERVICES template with an attribute of "subject" and
     value of "describe", except that the DESCRIBE command only searches
     local information and may not return pointers to other servers.

2.2.1.4.  The HELP command

     The HELP command takes an optional argument as subject to get help
     for.  This is equivalent to issuing the search command on the local

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 16]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     server only with the terms "template=help and subject=<subject>"
     (or "subject=help" if no argument specified) and will result in the
     display of the corresponding HELP template with subject "help".
     The HELP command differs from the above search command in that the
     HELP command only searches local information and may not return
     pointers to other servers.

2.2.1.5.  The LIST command

     The LIST command returns the name of the templates available on the
     server. The answer is in ABRIDGED format with the template name as
     the first word on each line.

2.2.1.6.  The POLLED-BY command

     The POLLED-BY command returns a list of servers and the templates
     and attribute names that those server polled as centroids from this
     server. The format is in FULL format with two attributes, Template
     and Field. Each of these is a list of names of the templates or
     fields polled.

2.2.1.7.  The POLLED-FOR command

     The POLLED-FOR command returns a list of servers that this server
     has polled, and the template and attribute names for each of those.
     The answer is in FULL format with two attributes, Template and
     Field.

2.2.1.8.  The SHOW command

     The SHOW command takes a template name as argument and returns
     information about a specific template, formatted as a FULL
     response.  The answer is formatted as a blank template with the
     requested name.

2.2.1.9.  The VERSION command

     This is equivalent to issuing the search command on the local

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 17]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     server only with the terms "template=version" and will result in
     the display of the VERSION template, except that the VERSION com-
     mand only searches local information and may not return pointers to
     other servers.

     The output format is a FULL response containg a record with tem-
     plate name VERSION. The handle for this record is unspecified.  The
     record must have attribute name "Version", which value is "1.0" for
     this version of the protocol. The record may also have the addi-
     tional fields "Program-Name" and "Program-Version" which gives
     information about the server implementation if the server so
     desires.

2.2.2.  The Search Command

     A search command consists of one or more search terms, which might
     each have local constraints, followed by an optional colon with a
     set of global search constraints.

     Each attribute value in the WHOIS++ database is divided into one or
     more words separated by whitespace. Each search term operates on
     every word in the attribute value.

     Two or more search terms may be combined with boolean operators
     AND, OR or NOT (other than the implied AND between terms). The
     operator AND has higher precedence than the operator OR, but this
     can be changed by the use of parentheses.

     Search constraints that apply to every search term are specified as
     global constraints. Local constraints override global constraints
     for the search term they are bound to. The search terms and the
     global constraints are separated with a colon (':'). Additional
     global constraints are appended to the end of the search command
     delimited with a semicolon ';'.

     If different search constraints can not be fulfilled, or the combi-
     nation of different search constraints is uncombinable, the server
     may choose to ignore some constraints, but still do the search and
     return some records.

     The set of required constraints are summarized in Table III. The
     set of optional constraints are summarized in Table IV.

     As an option, the server may accept specifications for attributes
     for either inclusion or exclusion from a reply. Thus, users could
     specify _only_ those attributes to return, or specific attributes

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 18]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     to filter out, thus creating custom views.

2.2.2.1.  Format of a Search Term

     Each search term consists of one of the following:

     1) A search string, followed by an optional comma and set of
        comma-separated local constraints.

     2) A search term specifier (as listed in Table II), followed by '=',
        followed by a search string, an optional comma and a set of
        comma-separate local constraints.

     3) An abbreviated search term specifier, followed by a search
        string, followed by an optional comma and set of comma-separate
        local constraints.

     4) A combination of attribute name, followed by '=', followed by a
        search string, followed by an optional comma and set of
        comma-separate local constraints.

     If no term identifier is provided, then the search will be applied
     to attribute values only. This corresponds to an identifier of
     VALUE.

     If a SEARCH-ALL specifier is used then the search will be applied
     to all template names, handles, attribute names and attribute
     values.

     When the user specifies the search term using the form:

             "<attribute_name> = <value>"

     this is considered to be an ATTRIBUTE-VALUE search.

     For discussion of the system reply format, and selecting the
     appropriate reply format, see section 2.5.

     Valid specifiers:
     -----------------

      Name                                   Functionality
      ----                                   -------------

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 19]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

      ATTRIBUTE-VALUE [ ',' <constrnt>]*     allows combining attribute and
                                             value specifiers in one term.
      HANDLE          [ ',' <constrnt>]*     Confine search to handles.
      SEARCH-ALL      [ ',' <constrnt>]*     Search everything.
      TEMPLATE        [ ',' <constrnt>]*     Confine search to template names.
      VALUE           [ ',' <constrnt>]*     Confine search to attribute values.
                                             This is the default.

     (Note: The name HANDLE can be replaced with the shortname '!')

     Acceptable forms of a search specifier:
     ---------------------------------------

     1) <searchstring>  [',' <constraint>]*

     2) <specifier> = <searchstring> [',' <constraint>]*

     3) <shortspecifier> <searchstring>  [',' <constraint>]*

     4) <attribute_name> = <searchstring>  [',' <constraint>]*

     (Note: A <constraint> is a name of a valid local constraint.)

     Table II - Valid search command term specifiers.

2.2.2.2.  Format of a Search String

     Special characters that need to be quoted are preceeded by a
     backslash, '\'.

     Special characters are space ' ', tab, equal sign '=', comma ',',
     colon ':', backslash '\', semicolon ';', asterisk '*', period '.',
     parenthesis '()', square brackets '[]', dollar sign '$' and circum-
     flex '^'.

     If the search term is given in some other character set than ISO-
     8859-1, it must be specified by the constraint INCHARSET.

2.3.  WHOIS++ Constraints

     Constraints are intended to be hints or recommendations to the

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 20]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     server about how to process a command. They may also be used to
     override default behaviour, such as requesting that a server not
     drop the connection after performing a command.

     Thus, a user might specify a search constraint as "SEARCH=exact",
     which means that the search engine is to perform an exact match
     search. It might also specify "LANGUAGE=Fr", which implies that the
     server should use French in fuzzy matches. It might also be able to
     issue system messages in French.

     In general, contraints take the form "<constraintname>=<value>",
     with <value> being one of a specified set of valid values. The not-
     able exception is "HOLD", which takes no argument.

     All constraints can be used as a global constraint, but only a few
     can be used as local. See tables IV and V for information of which
     constraints can be local.

     The CONSTRAINTS system command is used to list the search con-
     straints supported by an individual server.

     If a server cannot satisfy the specified constraint there will be a
     mechanism for informing the user in the reply, using system mes-
     sages.  In such cases, the search is still performed, with the the
     server ignoring unsupported constraints.

2.3.1.  Required Constraints

     The following CONSTRAINTS must be supported in all conforming
     WHOIS++ servers.

      Format                                           LOCAL/GLOBAL
      ------                                           -------------

     SEARCH=   {exact | lstring }                      LOCAL/GLOBAL

     FORMAT=   {full | abridged | handle | summary }   GLOBAL

     MAXHITS=  { 1-<max-allowed> }                     GLOBAL

     Table III - Required WHOIS++ constraints.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 21]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

2.3.2.  Optional CONSTRAINTS

     The following CONSTRAINTS and constraint values are not required of
     a conforming WHOIS++ server, but may be supported. If supported,
     their names and supported values must be returned in the response
     to the CONSTRAINTS command.

      Format                                                  LOCAL/GLOBAL
      ------                                                  -------------

     SEARCH=       { regex | fuzzy | substring | <X-format> } LOCAL/GLOBAL

     CASE=         { ignore | consider }                      LOCAL/GLOBAL

     FORMAT=       { servers-to-ask | mime | <X-format> }     GLOBAL

     MAXFULL=      { 1-<max-allowed> }                        GLOBAL

     AUTHENTICATE= password                                   GLOBAL

     NAME=         <string>                                   GLOBAL

     PASSWORD=     <string>                                   GLOBAL

     INCHARSET=    { us-ascii | iso-8859-* }                  GLOBAL

     LANGUAGE=     <As defined in ISO 639:1988>               GLOBAL

     HOLD                                                     GLOBAL

     IGNORE=       {attributelist}                            GLOBAL

     INCLUDE=      {attributelist}                            GLOBAL

     Table IV - Optional WHOIS++ constraints.

2.3.2.1.  The SEARCH Constraint

     The SEARCH constraint is used for specifying the method that is to
     be used for the search. The default method is "exact". Following is

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 22]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     a definition of each search method.

       exact           The search will succeed for a word that exactly
                       matches the search string.

       substring       The search will succeed for a word that matches
                       a part of a word.

       regex           The search will succeed for a word when a regular
                       expression matches the searched data. Regular
                       expression is built up by using constructions of
                       '*', '.', '^', '$', and '[]'. For use of
                       regular expressions see Appendix G.

       fuzzy           The search will succeed for words that matches the
                       search string by using some soundex-like algorithm.
                       The server chooses which algorithm to use, but it
                       may vary depending on template name, attribute name
                       and language used (see Constraint Language above).

       lstring         The search will succed for words that begins
                       with the search string.

2.3.2.2.  The FORMAT Constraint

     The FORMAT constraint describes what format the result will be in.
     Default format is FULL. For a description of each format, see
     Server Response Modes below.

2.3.2.3.  The MAXFULL Constraint

     The MAXFULL constraint sets the limit of the number of matching
     records the server allows before it enforces SUMMARY responses.
     The client may attempt to override this value by specifying another
     value to that constraint. Example: If, for privacy reasons, the
     server will return the response in SUMMARY format if the number of
     hits exceeds 2, the MAXFULL constraint is set to 2 by the server.

     Regardless of what format the client did or did not ask for, the
     server will change the response format to SUMMARY when the number
     of matching records equals or exceeds this value.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 23]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

2.3.2.4.  The MAXHITS Constraint

     The MAXHITS constraint sets the maximum number of records the
     client can get in a search respone.

2.3.2.5.  The CASE Constraint

     The CASE constraint defines if the search should be done case sen-
     sistive or not. Default value is to have case ignored.

2.3.2.6.  The AUTHENTICATE Constraint

     The AUTHENTICATE constraint describes which authentication method
     to use when executing the search. By using a specific authentica-
     tion method, some other constraints might be needed which is speci-
     fied by the authentication method.

     The only authentication method described in this document is "pass-
     word", if used, also the two other constraints "name" and "pass-
     word" need to be set.

2.3.2.7.  The USER Constraint

     The USER constraint is only used together with some authentication
     method named by the constraint "authenticate". The only use
     described in this document is by sending a username as a string of
     characters which together with the string given as an argument to
     the "password" constraint is sent to the server. The server can use
     that pair of strings to do a simple authentication check, like the
     UNIX login program do.

2.3.2.8.  The PASSWORD Constraint

     The PASSWORD constraint is only used together with some authentica-
     tion method named by the constraint "authenticate". The only use
     described in this document is by sending a password as a string of
     characters which together with the string given as an argument to
     the "user" constraint is sent to the server. The server can use
     that pair of strings to do a simple authentication check, like the
     UNIX login program do.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 24]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

2.3.2.9.  The LANGUAGE Constraint

     The LANGUAGE constraints can be used as an extra information to the
     fuzzy matching search method, and it might also be used to tell the
     server to give the system responses in another language, although
     this ability should be handled by the client. The language is
     specified as two-charater codes listed in the document ISO
     639:1988.

2.3.2.10.  The INCHARSET Constraint

     The INCHARSET constraint tells the server in which character set
     the search string itself is given in. The default character set is
     "ISO-8859-1".

2.3.2.11.  The IGNORE Constraint

     The IGNORE constraint specifies which attributes to NOT include in
     the result. All other attributes will be included (as if named
     explicitly by the "include" constraint).

     If an attribute is named both with the "include" and "ignore" con-
     straint, the attribute is to be included in the result, but the
     system message must be "% 205 Requested constraint not fulfilled".

2.3.2.12.  The INCLUDE Constraint

     The INCLUDE constraint specifies which attributes to include in the
     result. All other attributes will be excluded (as if named expli-
     citly by the "ignore" constraint).

     If an attribute is named both with the "include" and "ignore" con-
     straint, the attribute is to be included in the result, but the
     system message must be "% 205 Requested constraint not fulfilled".

2.4.  Server Response Modes

     There are currently a total of six different response modes possi-
     ble for WHOIS++ servers. These are FULL, ABRIDGED, HANDLE, SUMMARY,

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 25]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     SERVERS-TO-ASK and MIME. The syntax of each output format is speci-
     fied in more detail in the following section.

     1) A FULL format response provides the complete contents of each
        template matching the specified query, including the template
        type and handle for each record.

     2) An ABRIDGED format response provides a brief summary, including
        (as a minimum) the record handle and relevant information for
        that template.

     3) A HANDLE format response returns only a list of handles that
        matched the specified query.

     4) A SUMMARY response provides only a brief summary of information
        the number of matches and the list of template types in which the
        matches occured.

     5) A SERVERS-TO-ASK response returns only a pointer to another
        WHOIS++ server, which might possibly be able to answer the
        specified query.

     6) A MIME response indicates that the body of the response has been
        encoded in MIME message format.

     The server may respond with a null answer and may also respond with
     a null answer together with a correct system message to indicate
     that the query was too complex.

2.4.1.  Default Responses

     By default, a WHOIS++ server will provide a FULL response. This may
     be changed by the client with the use of the global constraint
     "format".

     The server is allowed to provide response in SUMMARY format if the
     number of hits exceeds the value of the global constraint "max-
     full".

     The server will not respond with more matches than the value speci-
     fied with the global constraint "maxhits"; Not in any response for-
     mat. If the number of matches exceeds this value, the server will
     issues the system message 110 (maxhits value exceeded), but will
     still show the responses, up to the number of the "maxhits" con-
     straint value.  This mechanism will allow the server to hide the

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 26]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     number of possible matches to a search command.

     The server response modes are summarized in Table V.

2.4.2.  Format of Responses

     Each response consists of a numerical system generated message,
     which can be tagged with text, followed by an optional formatted
     response message, followed by a second system generated messages.

     That is:

        '%' <system messages> <nl>

        [ <formatted response> ]

        '%' <system messages> <nl>

     If there are no matches to a query, the system is not required to
     generate any output as a formatted response, although it must still
     generate system messages.

     For information about the format for system messages, see Appendix
     E.

2.4.3.  Syntax of a Formatted Response

     All formatted responses consist of a START line, followed by a
     response-specific section, followed by a TERMINATION line. It is
     permissible to insert any number of lines consisting solely of new-
     lines within a formatted response to improve readibility.

     A START line consists of a line beginning with a '#' in the first
     column, followed by one white space character (SPACE or TAB), fol-
     lowed by one of the following keywords FULL, ABRIDGED, HANDLE, SUM-
     MARY, SERVERS-TO-ASK or MIME.

     A START line must contain no more than 81 characters, including the
     terminating newline character.

     A TERMINATION line consists of a line beginning with a '#' in the
     first column, followed by one white space character (SPACE or TAB),

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 27]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     followed by the keyword END, followed by zero or more characters,
     followed by a newline.

     A TERMINATION line must contain no more than 81 characters, includ-
     ing the terminating newline character.

     A response-specific section will be one of the following:

       1) FULL Format Response
       2) ABRIDGED Format Response
       3) HANDLE Format Response
       4) SUMMARY Format Response
       5) SERVERS-TO-ASK Format Response
       6) MIME format Response

     The details of each are specified in the following sections:

2.4.3.1.  A FULL format response

     A FULL format response consists of a series of responses, each con-
     sisting of a FORMAT specifier line, followed by the complete tem-
     plate information for the matching record.

     Each FORMAT specifier line consists of a '#' in the first column,
     followed by one white space character, the name of the correspond-
     ing template type, one white space character, the handle for that
     record, and a terminating newline.

     The template information for each record will be returned as a
     series of lines consisting of a single space, followed by the
     corresponding line of the record.

     The line of the record shall consist of the attribute name, fol-
     lowed by a ':', a single space, the value of that attribute, and a
     newline.

     Each such line shall be limited to no more than 81 characters,
     including the terminating newline. If a line (including the
     required leading single space) would exceed 81 characters, it is to
     be broken into lines of no more than 81 characters, with each con-
     tinuation line beginning with a "+" character in the first column.

     If the attribute value includes a line break, the line break must

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 28]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     be replaced by a CR/LF pair and the following line begin with a "-"
     character in the first column, instead of the space character. The
     attribute name is not repeated on consecutive lines.

2.4.3.2.  ABRIDGED Format Response

     An ABRIDGED format response consists of a single set of responses,
     consisting of a single line excerpt of the template information
     from each matching record. The excerpt information shall include,
     as a minimum, the local handle of the record, as well as other
     information that is relevant to the template type.

     The abridged template information for each record will be returned
     as a series of lines, each of which must consist of a single space,
     followed by the abridged line of the record.

     Each line shall be limited to no more than 81 characters, including
     the terminating newline. If a line (including the required single
     space, would exceed 81 characters, it is to be broken into lines of
     no more than 81 characters, with the remainder following on the
     subsequent line, with the space replaced by a "+" character in the
     first column.

     If the attribute value includes a line break, the line break must
     be replaced by a CR/LF pair and the following line begin with a "-"
     character in the first column, instead of the space character. The
     attribute name is not repeated on consecutive lines.

2.4.3.3.  HANDLE Format Response

     A HANDLE format response consists of a single set of responses,
     consisting of a single line listing the handle and template type
     for each matching record.

     Each line shall start with one space, followed by the handle, one
     or more whitespace characters, the template type and terminated by
     a newline.

     Each such line must contain no more than 81 characters, including
     the terminating newline character. If a line (including the
     required first space) would exceed 81 characters, it shall be split
     into multiple lines, with each continuation line beginning with a
     '+' instead of a space.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 29]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

2.4.3.4.  SUMMARY Format Response

     A SUMMARY format response consists of a single set of responses,
     consisting of a line listing the number of matches to the specified
     query, followed by a list of all template types which satisfied the
     query at least once.

     The first line shall begin with the string "matches: ", be followed
     by a space and the number of responses to the query and terminated
     by a newline.  The second line shall begin with the string "tem-
     plates: ", be followed by a newline separated list of the name of
     the template types which matched the query. Each line following the
     first which include the text "templates:" must begin with a '-'
     instead of a space.

     If the line is longer than 81 characters including the terminating
     CR/LF pair, it shall be split into multiple lines with each con-
     tinuation line beginning with a '+' instead of a space.

2.4.3.5.  MIME Format Response

     A MIME format response consists of a MIME encoding of all
     result of a search is contained in one MIME message. The MIME mes-
     sage itself is indented with one space. Each record is embedded in
     the message type text/iafa-template. If the result consists of more
     than one record, the message type multipart/mixed is used to
     separate the different records from each other.

     See RFC-1521 [BORE93] and RFC-1522 [MOOR93] for more information
     about the MIME format.

     The format of the message type text/iafa-template follows the
     specification of the FULL template, as described above.

     The MIME message itself must be indented with exactly one space
     character.

2.4.3.6.  SERVERS-TO-ASK Response

     A SERVERS-TO-ASK response consists of information to the client
     about which servers to contact next to resolve a query.

     The servers-to-ask response will consist of a number of attribute-

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 30]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     value pairs, separated by CRLF. Each line is indented with one
     space.

     Required attributes are "Version-number", which will be "1.0", and
     "Next-Servers".

     The "Next-Servers" field will be returned as a series of lines,
     each holding pointer information to one server. Consecutive lines
     shall have a hyphen "-" in the first column. Each line will be
     separated into five fields, separated with a semicolon. Those
     fields are:

     1. The server handle of the server pointed at. (required)
     2. A cached host named for the server pointed at. (optional)
     3. A cached port number for the server pointed at. (optional)
     4. The template name the server polled from the server pointed at.
        (optional)
     5. A comma separated list of field names the server polled
        from the serwver pointed at. (optional)

     Each such line shall be limited to no more than 81 characters,
     including the terminating newline. If a line (including the
     required leading single space) would exceed 81 characters, it is to
     be broken into lines of no more than 81 characters, with each con-
     tinuation line beginning with a "+" character in the first column.

2.4.4.  System Generated Messages

     All system generated messages must begin with a '%' as the first
     character, a space as the second one, followed by a three digit
     number, a space and an optional text message. The total length of
     the line must be no more than 81 characters long, including the
     terminating CR LF pair. There is no limit to the number of system
     messages that may be generated.

     The format for multiline replies requires that every line, except
     the last, begin with "%", followed by space, the reply code, a
     hyphen, and an optional text.  The last line will begin with "%",
     followed by space, the reply code, a space and some optional text.

     System generated messages displayed before or after the formatted
     response section are expected to refer to operation of the system
     or refer to the entire query. System generated messages within the
     output of an individual record during a FULL reponse are expected
     to refer to that record only, and could (for example) be used to
     indicate problems with that record of the response. See Appendix E

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 31]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     for a description of system messages.

2.5.  Compatibility with Older WHOIS Servers

     Note that this format, although potentially more verbose, is still
     in a human readible form. Responses from older systems that do not
     follow this format are still conformant, since their responses
     would be interpreted as being equivalent to optional text messages,
     without a formatted response.  Clients written to this specifica-
     tion would display the responses as a advisory text message, where
     it would still be readible by the user.

3.  Miscellaneous

3.1.  Acknowledgements

     The WHOIS++ effort began as an intensive brainstorming session at
     the 24th IETF, in Boston Massachusetts. Present at the birth, and
     contributing ideas through this early phase, were (alphabetically)
     Peter Deutsch, Alan Emtage, Jim Fullton, Joan Gargano, Brad Passwa-
     ters, Simon Spero, and Chris Weider. Others who have since helped
     shape this document with feedback and suggestions include Patrik
     Faltstrom, Dan Kegel, Mark Prior and Rickard Schoultz.

3.2.  Contact information

     Peter Deutsch,
     Bunyip Information Systems,
     310 St-Catherine St West,
     suite 202,
     Montreal, Quebec H2X 2A1
     CANADA
     <peterd@bunyip.com>

     Rickard Schoultz,
     KTHNOC, SUNET/NORDUnet/Ebone Operations Centre
     100 44 STOCKHOLM
     SWEDEN

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 32]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     <schoultz@sunet.se>

     Patrik Faltstrom
     KTH/NADA
     100 44 STOCKOLM
     SWEDEN
     <paf@nada.kth.se>

     Chris Weider
     Bunyip Information Systems
     2001 S. Huron Parkway, #12
     Ann Arbor, MI 48104
     USA
     <clw@bunyip.com>

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 33]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                      Appendix A - Some Sample Queries

       author=chris,template=user

     The result will consist of all records where attribute "name"
     matches "chris" with case ignored. Only USER templates will be
     searched. An example of a matching record is "Author=Chris Weider".

       schoultz;rick,search=lstring

     The result will consist of all records which have one attribute
     value matching "schoultz" exactly and one having "rick" as leading
     substring, both with case ignored. One example is "Name=Rickard
     Schoultz".

       value=phone, search=substring

     The result will consist of all records which have attribute values
     matching *phone*, for example the record "Name=Acme telephone
     inc.", but will not match the attribute name "phone". (Since
     "value" term specifier is the default, the search term could be
     "phone" as well as "value=phone".)

       search-all=Peter, search=substring, case=consider

     The result will consist of all records which have attribute names,
     template names or attribute values matching "Peter" with respect to
     case. One example is "Friend-Of-Peter: Yes".

      ucdavis,search=substring and (gargano or joan):include=name,email

     This search command will find records which have records containing
     the words "gargano" or "joan", and has the word "ucdavis" somewhere
     in a word. The result will only show the "name" and "email" fields.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 34]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                     Appendix B - Some sample responses.

      1) A FULL format response:

      # FULL

      # USER SERVHANDLE1:PD45
       First Name: Peter
       Last Name: Deutsch
       email: peterd@bunyip.com

      # USER SERVHANDLE1:AE1
       First Name: Alan
       Last Name: Emtage
       email: bajan@bunyip.com

      # USER SERVHANDLE1:NW1
       First Name: Nick
       Last Name: West
       Favourite-Bicycle-Forward-Wheel-Brand: New Bicy
      +cles Acme Inc.
       email: nick@bicycle.acme.com
       My-favourite-song: Happy birthday to you!
      -Happy birthday to you!
      -Happy birthday dear Nick!
      -Happy birthday to you.

      # SERVICES SERVHANDLE1:WWW1
       Type: World Wide Web
       Location: the world

      # END

                          --------------------

      2) An ABRIDGED format response:

      # ABRIDGED

       Peter Deutsch (PD45)      peterd@bunyip.com
       Alan Emtage (AE1)         bajan@bunyip.com
       World Wide Web (WWW1)     the world

      # END

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 35]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                          --------------------

      3) A HANDLE format response:

      # HANDLE

       SERVHANDLE1:PD45       User
       SERVHANDLE1:AE1        User
       SERVHANDLE1:WWW1       Services

      # END

                          --------------------

      4) A SUMMARY HANDLE format response:

      # SUMMARY

        Matches:      175
        Templates:    User
      -               Services
      -               Abstracts
      # END

      5) A MIME format response:

      # MIME

       --uniqueboundary

        Name: Patrik F=E4ltstr=F6m
        Email: paf@nada.kth.se

       --uniqueboundary

        Name: Rickard Schoultz
        Email: schoultz@sunet.se

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 36]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

       --uniqueboundary-
      # END

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 37]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

              Appendix C - Sample responses to system commands

      C.1 Response to the LIST command

      # ABRIDGED
       USER
       SERVICES
       HELP
      # END

      C.2 Response to the SHOW command

      This example show the result after issuing "show help":

      # FULL
      # TEMPLATE serverhandle1:user-template
       Template-Name: USER
       Attribute-Names: Name,Organization-Name,Organization-Type,Work-Phone,
      +Work-Fax,Work-Postal,Job-Title,Department,Email,Handle,Home-Phone,
      +Home-Postal,Home-Fax
      # TEMPLATE serverhandle1:help
       Template-Name: HELP
       Attribute-Names: Subject,Description,Handle
      # END

      C.3 Response to the POLLED-BY command

      # FULL
      # POLLED-BY xyz:serverhandle1
       Server-handle: serverhandle1
       Cached-Host-Name: sunic.sunet.se
       Cached-Host-Port: 7070
       Template: user
       Field: ALL
      # POLLED-BY xyz:serverhandle2
       Server-handle: serverhandle2
       Cached-Host-Name: kth.se
       Cached-Host-Port: 7070
       Template: ALL
       Field: Name,Email
      # END

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 38]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

      C.4 Response to the POLLED-FOR command

      # FULL
      # POLLED-FOR xyz:serverhandle3
       Server-Handle: serverhandle3
       Template: ALL
       Field: Name,Address,Job-Title,Organization-Name,Organization-Address,
      +Organization-Name
      # POLLED-FOR xyz:serverhandle4
       Server-Handle: serverhandle4
       Template: User
       Field: ALL
      # END

      C.5 Response to the VERSION command

      # FULL
      # VERSION serverhandle:version
       Version: 1.0
       Program-Name: kth-whoisd
       Program-Version: 2.0
      # END

      C.6 Response to the CONSTRAINTS command

      # FULL
      # CONSTRAINT asdjkq
       Constraint: format
       Default: full
       Range: full,abridged,summary,handle,mime
      # CONSTRAINT ljkqwer
       Constraint: maxhits
       Default: 200
       Range: 1-1000
      # CONSTRAINT slkjewer
       Constraint: search
       Default: exact
       Range: exact,substring,lstring
      # CONSTRAINT qwewerq
       Constraint: maxfull
       Default: 20
      # END

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 39]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                     Appendix D - Sample whois++ session

     Below is an example of a session between a client and a server. The
     angle brackets to the left is not part of the communication, but is
     just put there to denonte the direction of the communication
     between the server or the client. Text appended to '>' means mes-
     sages from the server and '<' from the client.

     Client connects to the server

     >% 220-Welcome to
     >% 220-the whois++ server
     >% 220 at ACME inc.
     <name=Nick:hold
     >% 200 Command okay
     >
     ># FULL
     >
     ># USER serverhandle:nw1
     > name: Nick West
     > email: nick@acme.com
     ># END
     ># SERVERS-TO-ASK
     > Version-number: 1.0
     > Next-Servers: sunetse01;whois.sunet.se;7070;USER;name,email
     >-              serverhandle7
     >-              another123;whois.acme.com;7070
     ># END
     >% 226 Tranfer complete
     <version
     >% 200 Command okay
     ># FULL
     ># VERSION serverhandle:version
     > Version: 1.0
     ># END
     >% 226 Tranfer complete
     >% 203 Bye
     Server closes the connection

     In the example above, the client connected to a whois++ server and
     queried for all records where the attribute "name" equals "Nick",
     and asked the server not to close the connection after the response
     by using the global constraint "HOLD".

     The server responds with one record and a pointer to three other
     servers that either holds records or pointers to other servers.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 40]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

     The first server was polled for "USER" templates and "name" and
     "email" fields.

     The client continues with asking for servers version number without
     using the HOLD constraint.  After responding with protocol version,
     the server closes the connection.

     Note that each response from the server begins system message 200
     (Command OK), and ends with system message 226 (Transfer Complete).

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 41]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                        Appendix E - System messages

     A system message begins with a '%', followed by a space and a three
     digit number, a space, and an optional text message. The line mes-
     sage must be no more than 81 characters long, including the ter-
     minating CR LF pair. There is no limit to the number of system mes-
     sages that may be generated.

     A multiline system message have a hyphen instead of a space in
     column 6, immediately after the numeric response code in all lines,
     except the last one, where the space is used.

     Example 1

     % 200 Command okay

     Example 2

     % 220-Welcome to % 220-the whois++ server % 220 at ACME inc.

     The theory of reply codes is described in appendix E in RFC 821
     [POST82].

List of system response codes
------------------------------

110 Too many hits                         The number of matches exceeded
                                          the value specified by the
                                          maxhits constraint. Server
                                          will still reply with as many
                                          records as "maxhits" allows.

111 Requested constraint not supported    One or more constraints in
                                          query is not implemented, but
                                          the search is still done.

112 Requested constraint not fullfilled   One or more constraints in
                                          query has unacceptable value
                                          and was therefore not used,
                                          but the search is still done.

200 Command Ok                            Command accepted and executed.
                                          The client must wait for a
                                          transaction end system message.

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 42]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

201 Command Completed successfully        Command accepted and executed.

203 Bye                                   Server is closing connection

220 Service Ready                         Greeting message. Server is
                                          accepting commands.

226 Transaction complete                  End of data. All responses to
                                          query are sent.

430 Authentication needed                 Client requested information
                                          that needs authentication.

500 Syntax error

502 Search expression too complicated     This message is sent when the
                                          server is not able to resolve
                                          a query (i.e. when a client
                                          sent a regular expression that
                                          is too deeply nested).

530 Authentication failed                 The authentication phase
                                          failed.

   Table V - System response codes

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 43]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                    Appendix F - The WHOIS++ BNF Grammar

          whois-command   =   ( system-command [":" hold-constraint]
                              / terms [":" globalcnstrnts] ) NL

          system-command  =   ( "constraints"
                               / "commands"
                               / "polled-by"
                               / "polled-for"
                               / "list" [string]
                               / "show" [string]
                               / "help" [string]
                               / "?" [string])

          terms           =   ["("] term [logical-op terms] [")"]

          term            =   generalterm / specificterm
                              / shortterm / combinedterm

          logical-op      =   ("and" / ";") / "or" / "not"

          generalterm     =   string *("," localcnstrnt)

          specificterm    =   specificname "=" string
                              *("," localcnstrnt)

          specificname    =   "handle" / "value"

          shortterm       =   shortname string *("," localcnstrnt)

          shortname       =   "!"

          combinedterm    =   string "=" string *("," localcnstrnt)

          globalcnstrnts  =   globalcnstrnt ["," globalcnstrnts]

          globalcnstrnt   =   localcnstrnt
                              / "format" "=" format
                              / "maxfull" "=" 1*digit
                              / "maxhits" "=" 1*digit
                              / opt-globalcnst

          opt-globalcnst  =   "hold"
                              / "authenticate" "=" auth-method
                              / "name" "=" string
                              / "password" "=" string

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 44]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                              / "language" "=" language
                              / "incharset" "=" characterset
                              / "ignore" "=" string
                              / "include" "=" string

          format          =   "full" / "abridged" / "handle" / "summary"
                              / "servers-to-ask" / "mime"

          language        =   <Two letter acronym according to ISO 639:1988>

          characterset    =   "us-ascii" / "iso-8859-1" / "iso-8859-2" /
                              "iso-8859-3" / "iso-8859-4" / "iso-8859-5" /
                              "iso-8859-6" / "iso-8859-7" / "iso-8859-8" /
                              "iso-8859-9" / "iso-8859-10"

          localcnstrnt    =   "search" "=" searchvalue /
                              "case" "=" casevalue

          searchvalue     =   "exact" / "substring" / "regex" / "fuzzy"
                              / "lstring"

          casevalue       =   "ignore" / "consider"

          auth-method     =   "password"

          string          =   1*char

          char            =   "\" specialchar /
                              <Characters 0-255 (decimal) except specialchar>

          specialchar     =   " " / <tab> / "=" / "," / ":" / ";" / "\" /
                              "*" / "." / "(" / ")" / "[" / "]" / "^" /
                              "$"

          digit           =   "0" / "1" / "2" / "3" / "4" /
                              "5" / "6" / "7" / "8" / "9"

          NL              =   <CR LF (decimal 13 10)>

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 45]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994

                 Appendix G - Description of Regular expressions

          The regular expressions described in this section is the same
          as used in many other applications and operating systems. It
          is though very simple and does not include logical operators
          AND and OR.

          Character                                  Function
          ---------                                --------

          <any except those listed in this table>  Matches itself

          a*                                       Matches zero or more 'a'

          [ab]                                     Matches 'a' or 'b'

          [a-c]                                    Matches 'a', 'b' or 'c'

          ^                                        Matches beginning of word

          $                                        Matches end of word

          Examples
          ---------

            String         Matches       Matches not
             hello          hello           helloo
             h.llo          hello           helio
             h.*o           hello           helloa
             h[a-f]llo      hello           hgllo
             ^he.*          hello           ehello
             .*lo$          hello           helloo

Deutsch, et al                                                 [Page 46]

Internet-Draft    Architecture of the WHOIS++ service       6 April 1994