Re: [woes] Naked Public Key, was: RE: Proposed charter, post-Quebec edition

Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@oracle.com> Mon, 08 August 2011 18:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:07:23 -0700
From: Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@oracle.com>
To: "Paul C. Bryan" <paul.bryan@forgerock.com>, woes@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [woes] Naked Public Key, was: RE: Proposed charter, post-Quebec edition

I think people are reading more into my comment about raw keys than I said.

The specific historical use case was that we needed to verify a signature with a specific PK. There was no certificate chain, no PKI processing of any kind required. The key was explicitly trusted. Revocation was out of scope. Therefore we (SAML TC) decided to specify the use of a PK as a binary value, not imbedded in a cert.

When implementations were done, it was discovered that common libraries, OpenSSL for example, expected the key to be contained in something that looked like an ASN.1 formatted certificate. It would not accept a binary value. In order to use such a library, it was necessary to gin up an ASN.1 certificate structure and stuff in the key value, simply to comply with the requirements of the method signature.

I am not talking about doing PKI. I am not talking about doing X.509. I am not talking about processing any other part of the cert except the PK.

I am talking about defining something that is practical to implement. I agree with those who believe both forms should be specified.

There seems to be a distinct argument about the generality of the spec, which I will address in a separate message.

Hal