Re: [woes] Naked Public Key, was: RE: Proposed charter, post-Quebec edition

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Fri, 05 August 2011 16:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:27:36 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: "woes@ietf.org" <woes@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [woes] Naked Public Key, was: RE: Proposed charter, post-Quebec edition

Question: What exactly is a 'raw key' in any case?

Anything that the group does is going to require some commitment to a
specific serialization of the key information. A public key is an abstract
data structure and you can't put an abstract structure on the wire. There
has to be some mapping from the abstract structure to the bits.

Eric and myself are not trying to be difficult here. OK, I can't speak for
Eric, maybe he is. But we have both tried to do what is being presented as
the 'easy' case and it wasn't.

Raw key can simplify things if offered as an option. If it is the only
option it is going to make things harder, not easier in my view.