Re: [wpkops] [T17Q11] SV: [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

Tony Rutkowski <trutkowski@netmagic.com> Fri, 18 July 2014 12:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 08:10:44 -0400
From: Tony Rutkowski <trutkowski@netmagic.com>
To: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>, tony@yaanatech.com, stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, wpkops@ietf.org, SG17-Q11 <T13sg17q11@lists.itu.int>
Subject: Re: [wpkops] [T17Q11] SV: [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

Hi Erik,

You have been participating long enough in the ITU-T
to know that it is an intergovernmental body, and one
cannot simply create a contribution using a Member
nation's name - even if you are a citizen - because
you don't like the "red tape."  It is the Danish
Administration - the Ministry of Business and
Growth - that gets to make submissions for
Denmark, not you.

Denmark ten years ago reduced its ITU financial
contribution by more than a half, and has not
submitted a document into the ITU-T since at
least 2001.  It thus seems unlikely this will occur.

You now say that "the proposal has been submitted
to that group [IEC TC57 WG15} for comments," whereas
your previous message said it "has requested the
inclusion of whitelist support in X.509."

I don't mean to be harsh or difficult here, but your
proposal is far reaching with profound effects on
X.509/PKI communities and implementations.  This
material also appears to be your own personal
proposal with no other apparent support.  You
should be proceeding to get reactions and support
from others on your ideas before attributing them
to a Member State or using your position as Q11/17
rapporteur to advance them.

--tony