Re: [wpkops] [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

"Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu> Wed, 06 August 2014 10:02 UTC

From: "Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu>
To: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:02:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [129.118.242.5]
Cc: "pkix@ietf.org" <pkix@ietf.org>, "wpkops@ietf.org" <wpkops@ietf.org>, "tony@yaanatech.com" <tony@yaanatech.com>, "Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu>, "stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [wpkops] [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

Erik, thanks for the reply and questions.

The situations that I describe for comparison are derived from automated grid processing environments, in which it is not unusual to have tens of thousands of processes start at once and also to need a very fast locally-based system for authorization based on strong identity.

The classic grid security infrastructure (GSI) works by use of limited-lifetime extended attribute certificate proxies obtained in advance of the operation from authorization servers operated by virtual organizations (VOs). Authorization occurs locally, based on a pre-defined list of DNs kept up to date out of band to establish membership in a VO.

To make this work, a certificate can be obtained from any CA within the trust network, but must be registered ahead of use into the VO membership server (called a VOMS server) to establish that the DN of that certificate is in the authorized list. Prior to use in an X.509 secured environment, the user obtains a limited-lifetime proxy by presenting the certificate to the VOMS server and getting back a proxy containing the EAC fields.

When the proxy is presented to the end-point of use, the list of authorized DNs for that proxy is checked, along with the validity of the EAC fields. This allows a cryptographically strong assurance that the DN is in the authorized list for operations on that endpoint.

Subtleties that have evolved over time allow expression of groups and roles to be carried by the proxy, so that a given certificate by itself can be associated with different operations at different end points. Thus not only membership in the VO, but what that particular DN is allowed to assert that it can do, can all be controlled with very fast local verification of authorization based on the proxy presented.

Overall this is essentially as fast as presenting a straight X.509 certificate, but allows much finer control over local authorization for particular operations by that DN.

I think it is one option among many that might work in your environment. There are also options in which the proxy is generated and/or held on behalf of the user by an intermediary server, called a MyProxy server, that can be deployed in various environments to simplify the proxy operations on behalf of a certificate holder (either human or automated); and there are also options in which the entire X.509 infrastructure can be handled automatically or tied into other secure identity systems, but the above captures the basic workflow with regard to how membership and local authorization can be handled quickly through the X.509 components.

In point of practice, most local authorization servers communicate with the resources in their vicinity using XACML over SAML to handle local assertions at speed, which works well in environments up to many tens of thousands of local relying resources. The communication between these local authorization servers and the central VOMS server to update membership lists is also done securely at low update rates (typically a few to many times per day) to synchronize the DNs, groups and roles for the VO membership lists.

A starting point for learning more on this might be http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.78.pdf -- the Grid Security Infrastructure Message Specification. You may also wish to read http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.189.pdf -- Relying Party Defined Namespace Constraints Policies in a Policy Bridge PKI Environment, http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.125.pdf -- the Grid Certificate Profile (shortly to be revised to GFD.225 with recent updates), and http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.182.pdf -- the VOMS Attribute Certificate Format.

These are just my opinions but are intended to answer your questions and I hope will provide background for my suggestion that a local authorization system based on strong authentication can work to meet your needs in a distributed environment.

Feel free to contact me offline and best regards,
Alan