Re: [wpkops] [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

"Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu> Thu, 31 July 2014 21:17 UTC

From: "Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu>
To: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:17:13 +0000
x-originating-ip: [129.118.242.5]
Cc: "pkix@ietf.org" <pkix@ietf.org>, "wpkops@ietf.org" <wpkops@ietf.org>, "tony@yaanatech.com" <tony@yaanatech.com>, "Sill, Alan" <alan.sill@ttu.edu>, "stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [wpkops] [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

Erik,

With the desire to wind this discussion back to its actual content and avoid for the present further discussion of procedures, let me say that the use case proposed is a familiar one in the world of extended use of PKI as an authentication piece of access control systems in distributed infrastructure environments.

The solution invariably is to implement a separate authorization layer that can work with the existing certificate infrastructure, which is out or scope as a work item for any of the proposed groups.

My personal belief is that this is not worth pursuing in its present form. I would be happy, off-list or on an individual basis, to pass on some of the solutions that I have seen work in practice in distributed computational, storage and other related control settings, some of which can be achieved within the existing X.509 settings through the use, for example, of time limited or otherwise membership-limited extended attribute certificates.

My suggestion, with great respect and due deference to its proposers, is to drop the referenced proposal until exploration of appropriate authorization technologies has been done and again offer to have that discussion off these lists or on a different one.

Alan Sill, TTU
VP of Standards, Open Grid Forum