Re: [wpkops] Preliminary Next Version of Browser Behavior Draft

"Ben Wilson" <ben@digicert.com> Wed, 11 June 2014 02:41 UTC

From: Ben Wilson <ben@digicert.com>
To: 'Rick Andrews' <Rick_Andrews@symantec.com>, wpkops@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:41:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [wpkops] Preliminary Next Version of Browser Behavior Draft

Thanks, Rick.

I can add more about the dynamic nature of some root stores to Section 2.1.

In 2.2, I wasn't sure what to say because I didn't think I should speak for
Mozilla, even though it's been explained to me that those responsible for
NSS/Firefox prefer a click through failure because it may tend to alert the
server administrator that there is a problem and they need to install a
chain properly.  In order to say that, I think someone needs to point me to
an official statement of that rationale so that I can reference it
officially.

In 3.1 and beyond, I'll make those replacements of "should" like I did above
in Section 2.

In Section 3.4, I can tone down the security concerns a bit, but the problem
is that the statements are true in a generic sense.  Basically, I am trying
to take advice from the last telephone call we had and hit the security
concerns, e.g., "why do we care?" or, in other words, what is significant
about each particular category of behavior, and why did PKIX frame the
security design as such?  Are you saying that because I do not reveal a
specific zero-day threat that I've observed, I'm therefore precluded from
mentioning how that latent vulnerability might be exploited?  I can make it
more clear that we're addressing the generic issues and not the specifics,
if that helps.

Thanks again for your review and comments-they do help - significantly.

Cheers,

Ben