X.25 MIB changes

"Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com> Mon, 18 May 1992 18:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 May 1992 14:04:29 -0400
From: "Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp
Subject: X.25 MIB changes

As I study the X.25 MIB I've noticed some things the MIB doesn't
handle well.

We need a value for the X.25 Mode to specify XID negotation.  This
means that X25AdmnInterfaceMode would have values for dte, dce, and
dxe.

We need to allow values of zero for Lowest and Highest channel
numbers in the X25 channel table if no channels are configured for
a range.

We need to clarify that the channel table refers only to
configuration values and not the current operating values.  This
means there is no way to read the current operating value if the
configuration values were changed after the interface was started.
(We could remove the x25channel table and put the objects in the
Admn and Oper tables but this is a rather major change at this late
date).

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll make the above changes to
the X.25 MIB.

I've also noticed the MIB doesn't have objects for some commonly
required configuration information.  The following are some
observations I've noticed but I won't add any objects unless I get
a couple of people saying they are needed.

The X.25 MIB includes the number of data packets received but
doesn't have the complimentary number of data packets sent (but
the ISO draft for X.25 does have it).

The last draft of the X.25 MIB has a default maximum packet size.
This means we don't have objects for the maximum size the PLE will
accept.

We don't have an object for whether or not to use a flow control
facility.

We don't have objects to tell when Closed User Groups, Closed User
groups with out Going Access, or Bilaterial Closed User group
facilities are allowed.  Nor whether they are the short or extended
version of the facility.

We don't have objects for the max & min, in & out throughput class
objects to negotiate.

One last thing:

The last draft of the X.25 MIB allowed the CircuitTable to be
written to configure PVCs (but only when the interface is down).  It
might be be better to add a separate table to configure PVCs.  This
would make the circuit table read-only and always refer only to
existing circuits.  This requires adding a lot of objects but
simplifies what the objects refer to.  I doubt it's worth it but
I'll listen for your requests.

Any comments on the above list of things?

Dean Throop		throop@dg-rtp.dg.com