X.25 MIB Questions

"Glenn C. Aikens (919-254-4588)" <AIKENS@ralvma.vnet.ibm.com> Wed, 29 September 1993 14:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 09:36:41 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Glenn C. Aikens (919-254-4588)" <AIKENS@ralvma.vnet.ibm.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: X.25 MIB Questions

I have a couple of questions that I hope the work group can answer:

1)  Want to make sure I understand the description for the x25Restart TRAP
    (X.25 Packet Layer MIB RFC1382).  This is how I understand it:

    - When an X.25 link is brought up, a linkUp TRAP is sent, but a x25Restart
      TRAP is NOT sent.
    - When an X.25 link receives a restart packet, an x25Restart TRAP is
      sent, but linkUp and linkDown TRAPS are NOT sent.
    - When an X.25 link sends/receives a frame reject packet, a linkDown TRAP
      is sent, but an x25Restart TRAP is NOT sent

    Is this correct?  Am I missing anything?

2)  Couple of questions on the Call Parm Table (X.25 Packet Layer MIB RFC1382):

    - What is the intent of the Call Parm Table?  Default, intended, current, or
      past Call Parms?  All of them?  Implementer's choice?

    - Maintaining a huge Call Parm Table (with past Call Parms) could require
      a tremendous amount of memory/processing cycles.  Because of timing and
      memory constraints, an implementation may only want to keep a subset
      (maybe just current) of the total Call Parms.
      What is the recommended use of the Call Parm Table for
      implementations that may have storage/memory/processing constraints?

3)  The Multiprotocol Interconnect over X.25 MIB is an Internet draft, not an
    RFC.  Should someone who is implementing RFC1356 support the
    Multiprotocol Interconnect MIB, or wait until the MIB is a standard?
    Implement the draft now and the standard later?  How close is the
    Multiprotocol Interconnect MIB to becoming a standard?

4)  What is the value of having mioxPleMaxCircuits=0 (Multiprotocol Interconnect
    MIB) in the mioxPleTable?  The time interval when an interface is going down
    is probably split-second and so it is probably not a great help to the
    user since he will almost always never see it.