SNMP over X.25

"Aleksey V. Melnikov" <Melnikov@iae.nsk.su> Thu, 11 August 1994 11:13 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Aleksey V. Melnikov" <Melnikov@iae.nsk.su>
To: fbaker@acc.com
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 17:28:49 -0000
Subject: SNMP over X.25
Cc: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com

> SNMP is designed within the IP framework, which presumes that SNMP
> runs on
> UDP, which in turn runs on IP. IP can run on many things, including
> X.25.
> Therefore, the stock answer is that you should use SNMP/UDP/IP/X.25.
> This solves both of your problems.

        Thank you very much for attantion to my problem.
    Solution you have proposed is very understandable, but I would
    like to find a way to use X.25 protocol as direct transport for
    SNMP (in your terms: SNMP/X.25). The same as IPX or DDP could
    be optional transport protocol for mapping SNMPv2 (according to
    RFC 1449). Is it possible ?

> >        - How to use SNMP over X.25 network ?
> >          We have checked RFC 1449 for it, but had not got
> >          clear answer.
>
> >        - Are there any specifications on use SNMP in heterogenous
> >          networks. I mean is it possible to pass SNMP requests
> >          from one type of network to another.
> >          Could I make, for example, such scheme:
> >
> >                 TCP/IP network
> >          ---+----------------------+-------
> >             |                      |
> >          +--+--+                +--+--+    X.25 network   +-----+
> >          |  A  |                |  B  +-------------------+  C  +--
> >          +--+--+                +--+--+                   +-----+
> >           host                   host                  packet
> switch >
> >        The questions is:
> >        How host A interchange SNMP information with packet switch
> C, >        and how host B redirect it ?
>
> The one issue is that you have to assign an IP address to Packet
> Switch C.

    In this case Packet Switch software have to be able to resolve
    IP and UDP protocols, could I avoid it ?

Aleksey V. Melnikov      Russia, Novosibirsk,
tel. (383-2)35-07-25     Academy of Sciences, Siberian branch
                         Institute of Automatition and Electrometry