X.400/Internet interworking

Bernt Allonen <bal@tip.net> Fri, 25 February 1994 17:06 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 16:14:04 +0100
To: MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 <STEIN.MIKE@epamail.epa.gov>, "bal@tip.net" <bal@tip.net>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bernt Allonen <bal@tip.net>
Subject: X.400/Internet interworking
Cc: "ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu" <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>, "cxii@es.net" <cxii@es.net>

At 07:55 AM 94/2/25, MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 wrote:

>          Bernt-
>
>          Your "first_name.initial.surname@org_unit.org.prmd.admd.country"
>          concept would certainly produce a very intuitive and readable
>          address, but I think it would quickly degrade adding generation,
>          multiple ou and dda elements as well as X.400 elements that
>          contain spaces or problem characters. If a user had no initial,
>          (as in your own X.400 address,) would it be
>          "first_name..surname"?

Mike,

I would propose that if only two elements of 'first_name.initial.surname'
was present, it would be encoded as  'first_name.surname'  without
additional dot(s).

The 'middle initial(s)' should be seen as options.

As regards 'dda elements' my understanding is that the major use of these
are for escaping to other address formats; fax, telex, Internet etc., from
within the X.400 world, and would not be very common for accessing to the
X.400 world from Internet.

If they where indeed present for some special cases, they could be preceded
by some agreed type of prefix character (e.g %)in order to be recognized.

'Spaces or problem characters' would have to be replaced by other suitable
characters accepted in the Internet environment, in the same way as Internet
addresses today are coded with (a)=@, (u)=_ and (p)=% in the dda fields of
X.400.

regards/bernt

Name:   Bernt Allonen              Address:  Unisource Business
Phone:  +46 8 688 2181                       Networks Sverige AB
Fax  :  +46 8 688 2006                       P. O. Box  101 35
Email:  bal@tip.net                          S-121 28  Stockholm
X.400:  c-se, a-400net, p-unisource          Sweden
        s-allonen, g-bernt