Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX

Ola Johansson <Ola.Johansson@tip.net> Thu, 24 February 1994 11:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 12:41:39 +0100
To: ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu, cxii@es.net
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ola Johansson <Ola.Johansson@tip.net>
Subject: Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX
Cc: bal@tip.net, eon@tip.net, hh@tip.net

At 04:53 PM 94/2/23, Allan Cargille wrote:
/../
>Stef has the report that CNRI completed.  If people do not like INTX,
>we can discuss other possible names.
/../
>Once we agree on the ADMD name, the UW will register the ADMD at ANSI.
>
>Opinions, anyone?

Please read the following for what it is; "opinions" from "anyone", i.e. my
humble self... (addresses used below are semi-fictional)

INTX as the admd is as good as any other, however maybe INTERNET could be
better? Unfortunately there is a company called INTERNET (yes, really!), so
maybe an admd with that name is prohibited.

Is INTX intended to be used by any x.400 admd operator as a virtual admd
address, and in that case; how many operators are willing (and/or able) to
implement this "virtual" admd to point to a (rfc-1327 compliant?)
x.400/rfc-822 gateway?

Anyway, I think that this admd=INTX could be registered as a virtual admd
*without* any country code. Is that possible? By doing so, the country code
in the x.400 address could be used for indicating the top domain in the
rfc-822 address, like this:

unisource.se ----------------------------+
    !                                    !
    +-------------------+                !
                        !                !
                        \/               \/
                  p=unisource; a=INTX; c=se

Mail that is addressed in the other direction could be mapped in the same
fashion, and with an exact one-to-one relationship between the rfc-822 and
the x.400 address:

g=ola; s=johansson; o=tech-dev; p=ubn; a=INTX; c=net
   !          !          !         !              !
   !          +-----+    +----+    +-+   +--------+
   !                !         !      !   !
   +----------+     !         !      !   !
              !     !         !      !   !
              \/    \/        \/     \/  \/
             ola.johansson@tech-dev.ubn.net

I realize that we have a problem when any of the address fields contains a
space character, but that could either be solved using a smart mapping in
the gateway or by using the more general rfc-1327 addressing:

"/g=ola/s=johansson/o=tech dev/p=ubn/a=INTX/c=net/"@x400gateway.se

But the smoothest way around this would be to either allow space in rfc-822
addresses or to not allow them in x.400 addresses...?

//Ola

*
*** Ola Johansson, Unisource Business Networks, P O Box 10135
 **** S-121 28 Stockholm, SWEDEN, email: <Ola.Johansson@tip.net>
*** phone +46-8-688 2156, fax +46-8-688 2008
*