Re: X.400/Internet interworking

Bernt Allonen <bal@tip.net> Mon, 07 March 1994 09:25 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1994 10:08:44 +0100
To: ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu, cxii@es.net
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bernt Allonen <bal@tip.net>
Subject: Re: X.400/Internet interworking

I hope that I am now a member of both lists. This message is partly a test
of that, but I am also wondering if I during the meantime have missed some
comments on my proposed mapping principles in the attached message below.

regards/bernt

-------------

>To: MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 <STEIN.MIKE@epamail.epa.gov>, "bal@tip.net"
<bal@tip.net>
>From: bal@tip.net (Bernt Allonen)
>Subject: Re: X.400/Internet interworking
>Cc: "ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu" <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>,
"cxii@es.net" <cxii@es.net>
>Bcc: hh@tip.net, ojn@tip.net, eon@tip.net
>At 07:55 AM 94/2/25, MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 wrote:
>>
>>          Bernt-
>>
>>          Your "first_name.initial.surname@org_unit.org.prmd.admd.country"
>>          concept would certainly produce a very intuitive and readable
>>          address, but I think it would quickly degrade adding generation,
>>          multiple ou and dda elements as well as X.400 elements that
>>          contain spaces or problem characters. If a user had no initial,
>>          (as in your own X.400 address,) would it be
>>          "first_name..surname"?
>>
>>          I have been getting the group email distributions for some time--
>>          in fact, I'm blessed by two copies of everything via the x400 ops
>>          and the cxii lists... Some of the discussions are great, some,
>>          like this Internet ADMD name thing tend towards silly AND THEY
>>          SEEM TO MISS THE POINT... Isn't it more important to come up with
>>          a better addressing scheme that's simple, intuitive and
>>          informative? A scheme that would be notation and routing
>>          compatible on both sides of the fence NOW. One which would prod
>>          long and complex X.400 addresses as well as short and cryptic
>>          Internet addresses to atrophy.
>>
>>          -Mike Stein
>>

>Mike,
>
>The most important point in my proposal was that ONE X.400 domain, e.g.
admd is directly mapped on ONE Internet domain.

>This does not hinder that one or more prmd domain, associated with that
admd, is also (and independently) mapped on another Internet domain, and can
be directly accessed by an addressing excluding the admd address element.

>A prmd may also be associated with more than one admd or no admd.
>
>The actual address mapping follows from that and can be based on RFC 1327,
or an updated version of this RFC if further functions are needed.

>I have also found another document
<draft-ietf-x400ops-mgtdomains-ops-06.txt> which seems to handle this
subject, but does not what I can see give a clear answer on my proposal.

>regards/bernt

Name:   Bernt Allonen              Address:  Unisource Business
Phone:  +46 8 688 2181                       Networks Sverige AB
Fax  :  +46 8 688 2006                       P. O. Box  101 35
Email:  bal@tip.net                          S-121 28  Stockholm
X.400:  c-se, a-400net, p-unisource          Sweden
        s-allonen, g-bernt