Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Thu, 25 November 2010 06:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:30:41 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, ietf-types@iana.org, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
Sender: owner-ietf-xml-mime@mail.imc.org

Sorry to pull back yet another time. I just found a comment by Björn
Höhrmann in another thread saying that RFC 3032 doesn't define fragment
identifiers. Upon checking, I found the following:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-5

5. Fragment Identifiers

    Section 4.1 of [RFC2396] notes that the semantics of a fragment
    identifier (the part of a URI after a "#") is a property of the data
    resulting from a retrieval action, and that the format and
    interpretation of fragment identifiers is dependent on the media type
    of the retrieval result.

    As of today, no established specifications define identifiers for XML
    media types.  However, a working draft published by W3C, namely "XML
    Pointer Language (XPointer)", attempts to define fragment identifiers
    for text/xml and application/xml.  The current specification for
    XPointer is available at http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr.

On top of that, http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr/ says it's superseeded. In
this light, the following text from the registration may need
reconsideration:

 >> Fragment Identifiers
 >>
 >> For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
 >> identifier notation is that for application/xml, as specified
 >> in RFC 3023 or its successors, plus the SVG-specific SVG Views
 >> syntax described in the SVG specification.

What about:

Fragment Identifiers

For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
identifier notation follows the XML Pointer Language (XPointer)
Framework (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/). Fragment
identifiers are either Shorthand Pointers (formerly called barenames) or
SVG view specifications. For details, please see Section 17.3.2 of the
SVG specification
(http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers).

or some such. I hope that RFC 3023bis can be completed soon, and make
this easier, but I hope we don't need to wait for this to complete the
image/svg+xml registration.

This also brings me to another nit. The registration currently says:

 >> Published specification:
 >>
 >> This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
 >> SVG 1.1 specification.
 >> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html

First, we made some tweaks, and second, the published specification is
all of SVG 1.1, not just the mimereg part, as far as I understand. So
what about something like:

Published specification:

This media type registration is an extracted and slightly adapted
version of Appendix P of the SVG 1.1 specification
(http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/).

I'm not against replacing SVG 1.1 with something like "the latest and
greatest SVG specification" (and a link to http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/),
but I think we should be consistent.

Regards,    Martin.