Re: The role of media types for XML content

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> Thu, 16 June 2005 00:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:01:51 +0200
From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
To: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org
Subject: Re: The role of media types for XML content
Sender: owner-ietf-xml-mime@mail.imc.org

On Thursday, June 16, 2005, 1:35:09 AM, MURATA wrote:

Chris>> With respect, you are, since I pointed one out in this thread. You may
Chris>> disagree with it, but you are not unaware of it. I have already
Chris>> mentioned content negotiation of schemas and the problems caused by
Chris>> serving both RNG and XSD as application/xml.

MM> Yes, of course.  You pointed out the problem.

MM> Chris, Mark, and Martin think that an attribute indicating media types
MM> is very useful for standalone schemas and are inclined to forget
MM> embedded schemas for now.

Or at least, to say that reliably identifying a standalone schema does
not necessarily constrain any future solution for embedded ones.

MM>   I think that an attribute specifying primary
MM> namespaces, for example, is more useful and it works for standalone
MM> schemas as well as embedded schemas.

Possibly; a mere list is not really quite sufficient, as the xslt
template shows. Nesting order is also important.

MM>  I also think that the use of media
MM> types by the referrer should be avoided, since they may be different
MM> from what the server says.

Which has been looked at by the TAG and found to be consistent with Web
Architecture as long as it is treated as a fetching hint and not defined
to be authoritative over what the server sends, in the very few cases
where that turns out to be different.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead