Re: Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml

Gerald McCobb <mccobb@us.ibm.com> Thu, 14 July 2005 18:15 UTC

Received: from above.proper.com (localhost.vpnc.org [127.0.0.1]) by above.proper.com (8.12.11/8.12.9) with ESMTP id j6EIF5SM063009; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:15:05 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from owner-ietf-xml-mime@mail.imc.org)
Received: (from majordom@localhost) by above.proper.com (8.12.11/8.12.9/Submit) id j6EIF5Rr063008; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
X-Authentication-Warning: above.proper.com: majordom set sender to owner-ietf-xml-mime@mail.imc.org using -f
Received: from e35.co.us.ibm.com (e35.co.us.ibm.com [32.97.110.133]) by above.proper.com (8.12.11/8.12.9) with ESMTP id j6EIF3Z7062988 for <ietf-xml-mime@imc.org>; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:15:04 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from mccobb@us.ibm.com)
Received: from d03relay04.boulder.ibm.com (d03relay04.boulder.ibm.com [9.17.195.106]) by e35.co.us.ibm.com (8.12.10/8.12.9) with ESMTP id j6EIEmeR484518 for <ietf-xml-mime@imc.org>; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:14:50 -0400
Received: from d03av04.boulder.ibm.com (d03av04.boulder.ibm.com [9.17.195.170]) by d03relay04.boulder.ibm.com (8.12.10/NCO/VER6.6) with ESMTP id j6EIEmQD090290 for <ietf-xml-mime@imc.org>; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14:48 -0600
Received: from d03av04.boulder.ibm.com (loopback [127.0.0.1]) by d03av04.boulder.ibm.com (8.12.11/8.13.3) with ESMTP id j6EIEl40010327 for <ietf-xml-mime@imc.org>; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14:48 -0600
Received: from d03nm118.boulder.ibm.com (d03nm118.boulder.ibm.com [9.17.195.144]) by d03av04.boulder.ibm.com (8.12.11/8.12.11) with ESMTP id j6EIEluD010313; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14:47 -0600
In-Reply-To: <42e66b43.259846015@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: ietf-types@iana.org, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml
X-Mailer: Lotus Notes Release 6.0.2CF1 June 9, 2003
Message-ID: <OF919D8740.C53D7F12-ON8525703E.00547F83-8525703E.006437E8@us.ibm.com>
From: Gerald McCobb <mccobb@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:14:45 -0400
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Router on D03NM118/03/M/IBM(Build V70_M4_01112005 Beta 3|January 11, 2005) at 07/14/2005 12:14:46, Serialize complete at 07/14/2005 12:14:46
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=_alternative 006437E28525703E_="
Sender: owner-ietf-xml-mime@mail.imc.org
Precedence: bulk
List-Archive: <http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/>
List-ID: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:ietf-xml-mime-request@imc.org?body=unsubscribe>

* Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* Gerald McCobb wrote:
>>I asked the IESG to postpone the publication of the 
>>application/xhtml-voice+xml media type as an informational RFC.  The 
>>registration is not correct.  It should be application/xhtml+voice+xml. 
>>The application/xhtml+voice+xml media type was the original submission.

>As I pointed out earlier, I do not really see a good reason to add this
>http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2005-March/000662.html
>type. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3236.txt notes the possibility of using
>application/xhtml+xml for XHTML M12N-based formats.

>http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/ also takes steps to
>increase the likelyhood that XHTML+Voice documents degrade in down-level
>clients that just support application/xhtml+xml, so indeed, as noted in
>the Internet-Draft, the type would be of limited use.

I'm not sure what you mean by "degrade."  It is true that XHTML+Voice
follows the XHTML 1.1 modularization standard and the XML-Events,
VoiceXML, and X+V markup is isolated from the XHTML by their respective
namespaces.  An XHTML+Voice application running successfully as an
XHTML-only application has been thoroughly tested on MS Internet Explorer
and Mozilla Firefox browsers.

However, as noted in the Internet-Draft, XHTML+Voice user agents have
special processing requirements including support for XML Events and
VoiceXML.  An initialized VoiceXML interpreter is a specific requirement.
This mime type is limited to XHTML+Voice applications and I don't propose
to change the limited designation in the internet draft.

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-04.txt
>notes 'While it is possible for a given media type to be assigned
>additional names, the use of different names to identify the same media
>type is discouraged'.

This mime type is for user agents that support the specific processing
requirements of XHTML+Voice applications.

>>One of the reviewers pointed out that "a certain class of error could be 

>>avoided by renaming this application/xhtml-plus-voice+xml... I don't 
know 
>>of any other "+xml" [see RFC3023] media types that have a "+" in the 
>>name... a poorly-constructed regexp looking for +xml along the lines of 
>>/\+(.*)$/  would miss this one."

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-04.txt
>notes 'More generally, use of "+suffix" constructs should be done with
>care given the possibility of conflicts with future suffix definitions'.

Are "+suffix" constructs the same as putting "+" within the subtype?  A
mime type such as application/xhtml+voice+xml that maps directly to
XHTML+Voice is easy for authors to understand.  I still see the "-" as
minus.  What does application/xhtml-voice+xml mean but XHTML minus voice.
As you know, XHTML already doesn't have voice...

Regards,
Gerald McCobb
IBM
8051 Congress Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33487
Tel. # 561-862-2109 T/L 975-2109





Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>;
07/14/2005 10:21 AM
 
        To:     Gerald McCobb/Boca Raton/IBM@IBMUS
        cc:     ietf-types@iana.org, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org
        Subject:        Re: Registration of media type 
application/xhtml-voice+xml


* Gerald McCobb wrote:
>I asked the IESG to postpone the publication of the 
>application/xhtml-voice+xml media type as an informational RFC.  The 
>registration is not correct.  It should be application/xhtml+voice+xml. 
>The application/xhtml+voice+xml media type was the original submission.

As I pointed out earlier, I do not really see a good reason to add this
http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2005-March/000662.html
type. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3236.txt notes the possibility of using
application/xhtml+xml for XHTML M12N-based formats.

http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/ also takes steps to
increase the likelyhood that XHTML+Voice documents degrade in down-level
clients that just support application/xhtml+xml, so indeed, as noted in
the Internet-Draft, the type would be of limited use.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-04.txt
notes 'While it is possible for a given media type to be assigned
additional names, the use of different names to identify the same media
type is discouraged'.

>One of the reviewers pointed out that "a certain class of error could be 
>avoided by renaming this application/xhtml-plus-voice+xml... I don't know 

>of any other "+xml" [see RFC3023] media types that have a "+" in the 
>name... a poorly-constructed regexp looking for +xml along the lines of 
>/\+(.*)$/  would miss this one."

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-04.txt
notes 'More generally, use of "+suffix" constructs should be done with
care given the possibility of conflicts with future suffix definitions'.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/