[xml2rfc] List related bug in r1.31.

elwynd at dial.pipex.com (Elwyn Davies) Mon, 04 September 2006 15:39 UTC

From: "elwynd at dial.pipex.com"
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:39:36 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] List related bug in r1.31.

Hi.

There is a bug in r1.31 nested  <list>  handling which looks like it
might be an uninitialized variable or some such to do with list
attribute inheritance.

The pair of files that can be found at the links below (.txt processed via the
online service) exhibit the bug in one place on p51 (s3.6.5.1):

>    R(35)  The routing system must provide management of the system by
>           means of policies.  For example, policies that can be
>           expressed in terms of the business and services implemented on
>           the network and reflect the operation of the network in terms
>           of the services affected.
>
>           R(1)  Editor's note: This requirement is optimistic in that it
>                 implies that it is possible to get operators to
>                 cooperate even it is seen by them to be against their
>                 business practices.
>          ***********incorrect style

The nested list item has style="empty" (explicitly) in the xml but
appears to be inheriting the outer list style.

The reason for suspecting an uninitialized variable is that when I tried
a workaround (style="hanging" hangLabel="") it fixed this instance but
the problem then appeared in a couple of other random places with a
similar construction (but with style="number" rather than style="format"
for the outer list and the incorrectly inherited nested list) - the
output appears 'correct' at the affected places in this version.

Apologies for the large sample files but the appearance of the bug is
somewhat random.  The samples can be downloaded from:
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/dialspace/town/square/hq41/xml2rfc/draft-irtf-routing-reqs-final-4.xml
and
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/dialspace/town/square/hq41/xml2rfc/draft-irtf-routing-reqs-final-4.txt

Regards,