[xml2rfc] PDF

fred at cisco.com (Fred Baker) Wed, 22 March 2006 15:46 UTC

From: "fred at cisco.com"
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:46:54 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] PDF

So I'm sitting in the plenary, and I have heard two important
statements in the past hour.

One is a comment in passing from someone I met in the hallway,
someone who has been around the IETF for approximately ever and has
supported getting a rational document format for pictures, one that
doesn't require us to be reduced to ASCII Art. He reported to me that
there was an experiment going on (I presume that this is sanctioned
by the IESG, but I haven't checked) persuant to the bi-annual
discussion of "why ASCII?" on the IETF list. Apparently there are
some documents in the internet draft queue in which the .txt is a
placeholder and the normative document is a.pdf.

Second, Bob Braden just spent a few moments holding a mike and in
effect blessed xml2rfc publicly. He said that the RFC Editor uses it
extensively and works with this community to make sure it has the
features they need.

Which makes me wonder: what would it take to produce PDF directly?
Perhaps with pictures? I really don't care to use Word for that. That
said, the way I create pictures in documents (when they aren't ASCII
Art) is to make the picture in some other document and paste it into
a Word file. Twould perhaps be nice if I could store it as a picture
in some form and import the picture into the HTML version, and then
"print" the HTML version to PDF, or generate it directly.
on 2006-03-22 17:46 Fred Baker said the following:
> So I'm sitting in the plenary, and I have heard two important
> statements in the past hour.
>
> One is a comment in passing from someone I met in the hallway,
> someone who has been around the IETF for approximately ever and has
> supported getting a rational document format for pictures, one that
> doesn't require us to be reduced to ASCII Art. He reported to me that
> there was an experiment going on (I presume that this is sanctioned
> by the IESG, but I haven't checked) persuant to the bi-annual
> discussion of "why ASCII?" on the IETF list. Apparently there are
> some documents in the internet draft queue in which the .txt is a
> placeholder and the normative document is a.pdf.

Interesting.  New to me.

> Second, Bob Braden just spent a few moments holding a mike and in
> effect blessed xml2rfc publicly. He said that the RFC Editor uses it
> extensively and works with this community to make sure it has the
> features they need.

Yes, that was very nice to hear.

> Which makes me wonder: what would it take to produce PDF directly?
> Perhaps with pictures? I really don't care to use Word for that. That
> said, the way I create pictures in documents (when they aren't ASCII
> Art) is to make the picture in some other document and paste it into
> a Word file. Twould perhaps be nice if I could store it as a picture
> in some form and import the picture into the HTML version, and then
> "print" the HTML version to PDF, or generate it directly.

The tool you want is xml2pdfrfc from Jari Arkko.  It uses xml2rfc and
some other tools to produce pdf:

	http://www.arkko.com/tools/xml2pdfrfc.html

Regards,

	Henrik