[xml2rfc] Indenting paragraphs

julian.reschke at gmx.de (Julian Reschke) Wed, 19 July 2006 06:59 UTC

From: julian.reschke at gmx.de (Julian Reschke)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:59:58 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Indenting paragraphs

Fred Baker schrieb:
> I think I missed something, and would appreciate a pointer.
>
> In the past, I have indented a paragraph (a block quotation) by turning
> it into a list:
>
>     <t> blah </t>
> becomes
>
> a little cumbersome, but it works just fine. Except that now it doesn't.
> The documentation says that hangIndent is only looked at in a list of
> style "hanging" or "format", and xml2rfc 1.30 is complaining. Yes, I
> have "strict" on; I can take it off if that will address the issue.
>
> How are others indenting block quotes etc?

I just leave the hangIndent attribute out.

Best regards, Julian
From: fred at cisco.com (Fred Baker)
Date: Wed Jul 19 08:53:26 2006

that works. Thanks.

From: Nicolas.Williams at sun.com (Nicolas Williams)
Date: Wed Jul 19 10:06:08 2006
Subject: [xml2rfc] RFE: xref/eref by value

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 06:11:04PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:30:50PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > XML already allows that by defining these things as entities in the
> > internal DTD. Isn't that sufficient?
>
> Examples?

Never mind.  I RTFMed.

This is close to what I'd like.

I've not yet figured out how to include XML through internal entities,
but otherwise I can include escaped text in internal entities and XML in
external entities (if the external entity name ends in .xml).

The way to do this, for the benefit of other list readers, is:

    <!-- External entity -->
    <!ENTITY foo SYSTEM "<url>">

or

    <!-- Internal entity -->
    <!ENTITY bar "<text>">

and then use '&foo;' and '&bar;' to reference the entity and get its
value included verbatim.

This doesn't work:

    <!ENTITY bar "<t>foobar</t>">

I get this error message from xml2rfc:

expecting <!ENTITY bar SYSTEM, PUBLIC, 'def', or "def" around input line ...

Is this a bug?  How would I include XML in an internal entity?

Nico
--
>From elwynd at dial.pipex.com  Wed Jul 19 20:04:21 2006
> On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:59 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Fred Baker schrieb:
>>> I think I missed something, and would appreciate a pointer.
>>> In the past, I have indented a paragraph (a block quotation) by
>>> turning it into a list:
>>>     <t> blah </t>
>>> becomes
>>> a little cumbersome, but it works just fine. Except that now it
>>> doesn't. The documentation says that hangIndent is only looked at in
>>> a list of style "hanging" or "format", and xml2rfc 1.30 is
>>> complaining. Yes, I have "strict" on; I can take it off if that will
>>> address the issue.
>>> How are others indenting block quotes etc?
>>
>> I just leave the hangIndent attribute out.
>>
>> Best regards, Julian
Hi, Fred.

Maybe your memory is playing tricks!   The hangIndent attribute goes
with the  <list> rather than the <t>'s.
The trick is (style ="empty" is default) if you want other than indent of 3:

I just tested it and it still works with both 1.30 and 1.31.

/elwyn