[xml2rfc] Updated version of edu preentation + new template file

thomas.morin at rd.francetelecom.com (Thomas Morin) Fri, 17 March 2006 06:39 UTC

From: "thomas.morin at rd.francetelecom.com"
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 06:39:10 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Updated version of edu preentation + new template file

Hi folks,

Fred Baker:
> May I make a suggestion? Start out by working through an exercise
> with them, preferably using XMLMind or such, and showing them that
> given a template one can pretty simply throw together a document and
> compile it to something the ID folks will post and the RFC Editor
> will accept. Having walked through the process and shown them the
> value of the tool and what good editing tools will do for them, you
> can then use these slides to show them what is going on "under the
> covers".

I totally agree with this comment: when suggesting to co-workers the use
of xml2rfc, I had very little success till I took the time to demo  the
XMLMind+xml2rfc plugin to them.  Some of them now use the XML format,
though they had some time ago tried to edit drafts in xml and had
dropped the idea because they were lacking a nice tool.

It would indeed be a great idea to start with a beginners session
showing how it can be simple, and following with an advanced user
session that would educate people on the innards of xml2rfc XML format
(for which the proposed presentation is great). Also, discussing the
areas were the need for improvements is identified and on which work may
be planned will be useful I think.

Cheers,

-Thomas