Including references, was: [xml2rfc] Slides for edu presentation on xml2rfc in Dallas

julian.reschke at gmx.de (Julian Reschke) Tue, 14 March 2006 11:29 UTC

From: "julian.reschke at gmx.de"
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:29:43 +0000
Subject: Including references, was: [xml2rfc] Slides for edu presentation on xml2rfc in Dallas

Michael Tuexen wrote:
> Julian,
>
> see my comment below.
>
> Best regards
> Michael
>
> On Mar 14, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Thomas Morin wrote:
>>> Another issue I have wrt using entities with XMLMind is that this editor
>>> will replace an entity ("&RFC2119;") by its content
>>> ("<reference>...</reference>" block) in the saved file, which is a pain
>>> because you lose the nice feature of having reference block updated when
>>> new drafts version are published.
>>
>> I personally think that this is a non-feature. Furthermore, a risky one.
>>
>> If I reference an Internet Draft, and that one changes, the last thing
>> I want is that my xml2rfc processor silently updates the reference
>> without myself knowing. Note that the I-D may have changed in a way
>> that requires change in the referring document as well.
> But you can not cite an ID if it is outdated.... So you have to make
> sure that all citations are valid
> by hand. I only like the functionality that I do not have to insert the
> latest number...

Well, you don't need to check by hand, that can be automated as well
(see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#rfc.section.10.1>,
although I have to admit that it doesn't yet document that functionality
for internet drafts...)

Best regards, Julian
From: elwynd at dial.pipex.com (Elwyn Davies)
Date: Tue Mar 14 11:57:28 2006
Subject: [xml2rfc] use of <?rfc typeout crashes online xml2rfc

Hi.

It is possible that this isn't fully fixed (or maybe there is a cache
problem).  I was building a template file to go with the course slides
and it gets an error when trying to convert to html (it works fine for
text).

The ffending file is attached (and it has iprExtract again).

Regards,
Elwyn