[xml2rfc] Problem with <texttable>

Dale.Worley at comcast.net (Dale.Worley@comcast.net) Fri, 30 June 2006 10:55 UTC

From: "Dale.Worley at comcast.net"
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:55:46 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Problem with <texttable>

   From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>

   for the third column add this

	   width='30em'

   that should let you proceed. i'm still looking at the bug.

Curious.  It does work for me.

Dale
From: dave at cridland.net (Dave Cridland)
Date: Fri Jun 30 11:58:25 2006
Subject: [xml2rfc] References feature

On Fri Jun 30 19:33:27 2006, Marshall Rose wrote:
> in other words, my belief (which may be mistaken) is that the
> statement
>
> 	Z is normative
>
> has meaning only in the context of the referring document.

And David is saying that you're incorrect, because the statement "Z
is normative" has meaning only in the context of the xref. By
collecting references into Normative and Informative piles, we force
the scope into being document wide, but this can be done quite easily
- if there are any normative xref to Z in the document, then the
reference itself is normative.

In other words, xml2rfc (or whatever) could handle the division for
us, given more metadata at the xref itself.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
>From ned.freed at mrochek.com  Fri Jun 30 15:27:54 2006
> On Fri Jun 30 19:33:27 2006, Marshall Rose wrote:
> > in other words, my belief (which may be mistaken) is that the
> > statement
> >
> > 	Z is normative
> >
> > has meaning only in the context of the referring document.

> And David is saying that you're incorrect, because the statement "Z
> is normative" has meaning only in the context of the xref.

I have to say I agree with Marshall and disagree with this assertion.
I think the normative or informative nature of a referece is a cumulative
thing, not necessarily associated with any specific xref.

> By
> collecting references into Normative and Informative piles, we force
> the scope into being document wide, but this can be done quite easily
> - if there are any normative xref to Z in the document, then the
> reference itself is normative.

But as a practical matter, the scope _is_ document-wide. We can't adcance part
of a specification because the references to some other document at lower grade
are only informative in that part.

Let's please not forget that the main purpose of the normative/informative
split is in handling document advancement. I can safely say that I've spent
essentially no time worrying about the type of reference for other purposes.

> In other words, xml2rfc (or whatever) could handle the division for
> us, given more metadata at the xref itself.

Yes, and make it harder to shift a reference from normative to informative in
the process. Silly states should be avoided when possible.

				Ned