[xml2rfc] RFE: xref/eref by value

Nicolas.Williams at sun.com (Nicolas Williams) Thu, 13 July 2006 08:20 UTC

From: Nicolas.Williams at sun.com (Nicolas Williams)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:20:16 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] RFE: xref/eref by value

It'd be nice if there was a way to reference, say, a figure, and have a
copy of it appear at the reference point.  Further, It'd be nice if
figures could be nested.

The particular use case for this: documents with large ASN.1 modules,
such as draft-ietf-krb-wg-rfc1510ter, where the modules must appear in
an appendix but also parts of it are quoted in the text of the document
where they are discussed.  Having multiple copies of the same bits of
the ASN.1 in several parts of the document makes it very hard to keep
the document internally consistent as edits are made, particularly when
multiple editors are collaborating.

Nico
--
>From julian.reschke at gmx.de  Thu Jul 13 18:30:50 2006
> It'd be nice if there was a way to reference, say, a figure, and have a
> copy of it appear at the reference point.  Further, It'd be nice if
> figures could be nested.
>
> The particular use case for this: documents with large ASN.1 modules,
> such as draft-ietf-krb-wg-rfc1510ter, where the modules must appear in
> an appendix but also parts of it are quoted in the text of the document
> where they are discussed.  Having multiple copies of the same bits of
> the ASN.1 in several parts of the document makes it very hard to keep
> the document internally consistent as edits are made, particularly when
> multiple editors are collaborating.

XML already allows that by defining these things as entities in the
internal DTD. Isn't that sufficient?

Best regards, Julian