Re: [xrblock] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-05.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 25 July 2012 06:51 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: xrblock@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:49:17 +0800
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-05.txt

Based on Alan's proposal to the open issue mentioed below, we like to add one new section after SDP signaling section as follows:
"
6. Consideration for duplicate packets discards

Early/ late discards are usually regarded as a symptom of PDV due to congestion (or route changes) however duplicate packets discards have quite different causes.

(a) A few duplicate packets can indicate some form of Layer 1/2 LAN problem. This would not need to be an accurate measure - more of a general barometer.

(b) If the number of duplicate packets is very high then this may be due to RTP replication - and if this is the case then you would want to compare the number of duplicate packets to the number of received packets in the same time interval. If the duplicate packet count is X% of the received packet count, this indicates that a (100-X)% packet loss rate is being "hidden" by the replicated packets, and  it is very useful to know the actual loss rate(useful to indicate that replication should be kept "on" and helpful to know that there are some network issues that need to be investigated).
"
Hope this can close the remaining issue. We will discuss this proposed new section in the Vancouver meeting but also good to listen to your opinion before the meeting.

Regards!
-Qin WU