Re: [xrblock] Last Call Review: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count-07

"Huangyihong (Rachel)" <rachel.huang@huawei.com> Thu, 25 December 2014 08:21 UTC

From: "Huangyihong (Rachel)" <rachel.huang@huawei.com>
To: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds@gmail.com>, Gen Art <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count.all@tools.ietf.org>, "xrblock-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <xrblock-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>, Dan Romascanu <dromasca@avaya.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 08:21:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.144]
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Last Call Review: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count-07

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the nice Gen-ART review. Please see my replies inline starting with "[Rachel]".

BR,
Rachel

[Rachel]: This report block introduces two metrics : "unrepaired loss count" which is specified as the total number of packets finally lost after applying loss-repair methods. And "repaired loss count" is specified as the total number of packets which are fully repaired after applying loss-repair methods. And in this sentence, I meant "repaired loss count" because this metric is used to help calculating pre-repair loss count (pre-repair loss count = unrepaired loss count + repaired loss count). Maybe the name of "unrepaired loss count" is confusing. Would it better changing to "post-repair loss count"?

> 2) First paragraph of Section 3, third sentence: the ending currently reads:
>     "Some packets will not be repaired in the current
>     RTCP interval."
> I think your point is that some of these could be repaired later, so I suggest the
> text should be extended:
>     "Some packets will not be repaired in the current
>      RTCP interval, but could be repaired later."

[Rachel]: Right. Will fix it in the new version.

> 3) I question whether RFCs 4588 and 5109 are normative for this document,
> but I know this sort of thing is a difficult decision and I'll accept whatever the
> final outcome is.

[Rachel]: I agree with you that these two should be informative.

> 4) Appendix A: The "Units of Measurement" are packets.

[Rachel]: According to RFC6390, Section 5.4.5, there's an example to show how to define a metric. Here's how it defines the "Units of Measurement":
"
Units of Measurement:  This metric is expressed as a fixed-point number with the binary point at the left edge of the field.  For example, a metric value of 12 means a loss rate of approximately 5%.
"
I consulted it to specify mine.

> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> 1) First paragraph of introduction:
>        s/contains/contain/ at end of first line.
>
> Fourth sentence:
>
> OLD
>
>     However, this metric is measured on media stream before
>     any loss repair mechanism, e.g., retransmission [RFC4588] and Forward
>     Error Correction (FEC) [RFC5109], is applied.
>
> NEW
>
>     However, this metric is measured on the media stream before
>                                         ^^^
>     any loss repair mechanism, e.g., retransmission [RFC4588] or Forward
>                                                               ^^
>     Error Correction (FEC) [RFC5109], is applied.

[Rachel]: Okay. All the above nits will be fixed.

> I would break this paragraph into three parts. The first three sentences
> introduce the existing metric. The next two sentences, from "However, ..." to
> "... [RFC3550].", introduce the problem. The following two sentences, from
> "Consequently ..." through "... higher overhead.", give an attempted solution.
> The final sentence, I think, is the motivator for this document and I would
> merge it into the next paragraph.

[Rachel]: Good suggestion.

> 2) First paragrpah of Section 3: again, I suggest it be broken into three parts.
> The second part would begin with "Thus it is RECOMMENDED ...", and the
> third with "The sequence number range ...".

[Rachel]: Okay. So you're suggesting to break the big paragraph into 3 small ones, right?

> 3) The sentence preceding Figure 1 should identify "Figure 1" explicitly (via
> XML2RFC cross-reference if that is what you are using). It should also note that

[Rachel]: Okay. Will do.

> bit positions are given in octal -- the first time I've seen that in a document, but
> it's OK with me.

[Rachel]: This draft is just an RTCP XR extension to augment the report blocks defined in RFC3611. So the format is just in a manner consistent with other RTCP XR packets. All the RFCs produced in XRBLOCK wg specifying new report blocks have the same pattern. That's why I think it doesn't need to be clarified in this draft.

> 5) Section 5, third line: s/confidentially/confidentiality/

[Rachel]: Okay.