Re: [xrblock] after the IPR Disclosure related to draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Thu, 24 March 2016 11:49 UTC

To: "Mo Zanaty (mzanaty)" <mzanaty@cisco.com>, "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:49:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [xrblock] after the IPR Disclosure related to draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc

Hi Mo,

The language you suggest removing is, as you say, inconsequential to the
draft and could easily be removed.

In fact the insertion of language from a patent into the draft without a
coincident verbal disclosure of the patent to the WG seems rather
strange and could be seen as a potential violation of IETF patent policy?

We should also ask why the language describing this "example" in the
draft became much more specific between the -00 and -01 drafts, did this
change in language tie the draft more closely to a patent?

Working Group Draft 00 - February 2015
e.g., motion vector of each macroblock, and imperceptibly embed them
into other parts of the video frame.

Working Group Draft 01 - July 2015
e.g., redundant motion vector of the first macroblock in a slice of this
area and redundant motion vector difference of other macroblocks in this
slice of this area, and imperceptibly embed them into other parts of the
video frame sent in a different RTP packet or in the next frame, e.g.,
other slices of this area.

Clearly an implementer of the metrics reporting protocol would not need
to implement a loss concealment algorithm in order to report the metrics
- hence the disclosure should be withdrawn regardless of whether this
language is present or not.

Regards

Alan