Re: [xrblock] Future of XRBLOCK

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Thu, 07 April 2016 20:52 UTC

To: Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>, "Drage, Keith (Nokia - GB)" <keith.drage@nokia.com>
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:52:43 -0400
Cc: "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Future of XRBLOCK

Bernard, Keith

I concur that the development of drafts that are intended for use within
WebRTC should be done within the rtcweb WG in IETF.  I don't think that
XRBLOCK has had many IPR issues (2 ?) however rtcweb would be much more
rigorous in limiting the development of drafts that have IPR disclosures.

I must admit to being somewhat disappointed with regard to the video
loss concealment draft episode - firstly in the way in which irrelevant
IPR was included in the draft, secondly in the way that the IPR was
disclosed and thirdly in the resistance that was exhibited to the
removal of the IPR disclosure.  Participants were suggesting that the WG
should not even be discussing IPR issues, that having an IPR disclosure
was not a problem as implementers could get opinions from their
attorneys or from a court......

I think that the WebRTC statistics draft should be transferred to the
rtcweb WG, it makes no sense to have this done within XRBLOCK. The
independent burst gap draft should be progressed and then the XRBLOCK WG
should be wound up.   I'd be more than happy to review any future
metrics reporting drafts within AVT, rtcweb or wherever they happen to
be developed.

Part of the motivation in setting up XRBLOCK was that there were a set
of unfinished xrblock drafts that had been developed within AVT, these
were sitting on the shelf and it made sense to dust them off and
complete them. This has now been done, XRBLOCK's work is (almost)
complete and the IETF has the very sensible practice of avoiding
self-perpetuating WG's.

Regards

Alan Clark