Re: [xrblock] Usage of RFC 6390 in XRBLOCK documents

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Tue, 04 December 2012 10:45 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:45:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.45]
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Usage of RFC 6390 in XRBLOCK documents

Hi Glen,

My proposal is that in such cases we need at a minimum discuss in the I-D the missing items. The assumption is that if they were defined in RFC 6390 as a normative part in the definition of any metric in the IETF they are necessary for the metric to be completely defined and ensure interoperability.

I hardly can see how (i), (ii) or (iv) can be absent. If (iii), (v) or (vi) are missing we should at least discuss in the document what we do in the absence of their definition. One thing we already do in such cases is to add fields that define the different option (e.g. algorithm of calculation) in the xr-block.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks and Regards,

Dan