Re: [xrblock] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-jb-02.txt

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Wed, 16 January 2013 12:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:17:31 -0500
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: "Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>, Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: xrblock <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-jb-02.txt

A typical jitter buffer uses the first packet received as its timing
reference, and applies a nominal delay to that before playing out.  During
later operation, the jitter buffer may increase or reduce the nominal delay
or may pick a new reference packet. This nominal delay represents the ³late
window² - so if a packet arrives more than ³nominal delay ms² after its
expected time then it will be discarded.

³On time² - in this case - refers to the expected arrival time of the packet
when calculated with reference to the first or a later selected reference
packet.

Jitter buffer implementations don¹t necessary do this mathematically however
this is a generalized description that models the behavior of most jitter
buffers used for VoIP and Videoconferencing.

Playout buffers used in video streaming applications operate quite
differently. Basically a received chunk of encoded video is added to the
playout buffer - encoded video is read from the buffer. When the buffer
level drops below a threshold then another chunk of video is requested from
the server. There is an equivalent to ³nominal delay² as the buffer will
always try to make sure there is at least a minimal level of video in the
buffer before playing out - however there would not be the equivalent of an
³on time² packet.

Regards

Alan