Re: [xrblock] [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe-12

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Wed, 13 November 2013 20:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:30:58 -0500
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe.all@tools.ietf.org>, "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe-12

Hi Qin

The use of an out of range value within SDP to signal that you don't
want to accept something does not seem to be within the spirit of SDP.
The normal usage would be "I can do A, B, C" with an answer of "C".

In the case of QoE measurement - an RTP endpoint may incorporate one or
more QoE algorithms that are used to estimate the user perceived quality
of the received media stream. The offer should contain a subset of the
QoE algorithms supported by the offeror and the answer should contain a
subset of the QoE algorithms supported by the answerer; it is not
necessary that the QoE algorithms in the Answer are a subset of those in
the Offer (as the algorithms don't need to interoperate).  Unlike the
case when negotiating a codec - it is not required that the two
endpoints implement the same algorithm although there is some minor
advantage if the two endpoints use the same algorithm if possible in
order that QoE scores for the two directions are equivalently scaled.

I'd prefer to use SDP in the following way:

(i) Offer provides a list of one or more QoE algorithms that it
supports, in the form of a map

(ii) Answer provides a list of one or more QoE algorithms that it
supports, in the form of a map. If the Answerer supports one of the same
algorithms that the Offer provides then the Answerer SHOULD answer with
only that algorithm however MAY answer with more than one.

I'll work out the appropriate text changes to implement this unless
there are strong technical reasons not to.

Regards

Alan