Re: [yaco-community-tool] Observations from my second attempt at using the community tool

"Emilio A. Sánchez" <esanchez@yaco.es> Thu, 15 December 2011 11:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:48:31 +0100
From: "\"Emilio A. Sánchez\"" <esanchez@yaco.es>
To: yaco-community-tool@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yaco-community-tool] Observations from my second attempt at using the community tool

    Hi Robert,

    I'll answer you inline.

El 09/12/11 22:39, Robert Sparks escribió:
> (The first attempt stopped abruptly with a crash).

    This was a bug. You didn't have an user to log in but your email
address already was in the system. This bug is now fixed. Thanks for
your notification.

> I spent some time trying to exercise this tool and ran into several
> problems.
>
> I want to ask about what the expectations of the current implementation
> and test instance were
> before asserting that these are bugs.

    Everything that do not work is a bug :)

> Should the search results be accurate? I set up a rule to search for all
> documents
> containing the text "location conveyance". It only found seven. There
> are many, many
> more.

    I'll check it.

> Should sorting work? - I tried the various sort options in the display
> customization section.
> Alphabetical by title or by filename worked. Publication date didn't.
> Sorting by change or
> significant change produced results that didn't make sense.

    I'll check the publication date sort.

    Sorting by significant/normal changes do not work cause in the
database there is no information telling if the changes are significant.
This information is added to the new changes, so when new changes get
recorder this sorting will work.

    I'll try to get it fixed so at least it sorts by the last existing
change.

> I could only subscribe to lists or feeds from the read-only view of the
> list.
> It is very unintuitive to look there for those options - why aren't they
> available to me on my regular view?

    I'll add this two links in the "Exports" tab of the list management
view.

> The view URL itself is coding the username into the URL - why? I
> _assume_ you have coded policy
> that doesn't let me look at Adam's list just because I know his login.
> If that's the case, stopping at
> community/personal or using something like community/personal/mainlist
> and figuring out which
> list to look at by seeing who was logged in seems a lot safer.

    That's a great comment! You're right, the user name is not needed in
the url, and of course you can't see the list management view of any
person. I'll change this url.

> Similarly, the way this currently constructs the "read only" view
> necessarily makes all of the lists
> public. The intent of 6293 was that these be private by default and only
> exposed if the person
> wants to expose them. As it is now, I know I can see Adam's list by
> looking at
> http://beta.community.yaco.es/community/personal/adam%40nostrum.com/view/

    I'll replace the url of the public views with a super secret hash so
you have to explicit share the link.

> I logged in as stream_user. It does not let me change any state on any
> documents, so I couldn't
> test the notification features.

    That was a missconfiguration of the beta server. I've fixed it.

> The option to list "changed within 1,2,7 days" as separate columns would
> be better met with
> just listing a column with the number of days since the last change
> actually in the column.

    I think that 6293 requires these three columns. I suppose that
someone may want to add to their list just one of them.

> I forgot (and am subsequently surprised) that 6293 restricts users to
> only one list.
> I don't expect that restriction to survive actual use - I hope the code
> will be easy to adapt to the notion of
> multiple lists later.

    Is not trivial to adapt but of course it's easy. The model is not
restricted to just one list per user but you'll need to do some changes
like:

    * Add a name to the list model so you can differentiate your lists.
    * Add a view that list all of your ID lists so you can choose one to
manage.

    Thanks for all your comments.

    Best,