[yaco-idsubmit-tool] Testing notes / Henrik / March 11

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Fri, 11 March 2011 17:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:09:35 +0100
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: yaco-idsubmit-tool@ietf.org
Subject: [yaco-idsubmit-tool] Testing notes / Henrik / March 11

Testing issue:

  * I'm not seeing any posting confirmation emails going out to the
    testing address, which makes it impossible for me to carry through
    the testing to a final post, and verify that the document is online.

Bugs:

  * Failed idnits run on second submission?  I did one upload of
    draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-16.txt, which had some metadata
    flaws, fixed those and uploaded again.  The (failed) idnits results
    from the second upload is incomplete, showing only this:

	"idnits 2.12.07

	/var/www/staging/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt:"

    Running idnits 2.12.07 locally on the draft produces the expected
    output.

  * Abstract extraction.  Processing draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-16.txt
    gives an abstract which includes the first 2 paragraphs from the
    Introduction section.  You should probably add a condition which cuts
    the abstract when a line matching "^ *[0-9]+\.? " is found, to stop at
    the first numbered section.

  * Abstract extraction (II).  Processing draft-eastlake-sha2b-05 results
    in an abstract which is cut short.  The last line of the first paragraph,
    and the entire second paragraph of the abstract is missing.

Flaws:

  * It's unnecessarily hard to upload a fixed version of a draft after
    flaws has been found in a first upload.  You have to either remember
    to cancel on the check page, or follow the link provided to go back
    and do it later.  I'd prefer that for a failed upload (idnits or
    meta-data failures) a new upload would automatically cancel the
    previous one; at least a new upload from the same IP address.

  * Also, cancelling a submission with idnits or meta-data errors should
    not cause an 'Are You Sure' dialog.

  * When the draft name found in the text of an uploaded draft contains
    characters which are not permitted, there's an error message next to
    the upload filename box.  This can be misleading, especially if the
    filename of the upload doesn't violate the rule.  Please change the
    message "Filename contains non alpha-numeric character: %s" next to
    the upload filename box to be a metadata error on the check page,
    and change the text to something like "The draft name found in the
    document, '%s', contains one or more alphanumeric characters: '%s'."

  * On at least one occasion, (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-08.txt),
    the first time I clicked the 'Post' button I was just returned to the
    same page.  A second click on 'Post' resulted in the submitter auth
    page.

Nits:

  * On the check page, there's initially a large blank area above the
    Meta-Data area, which then (as the style sheet is read in??) reduces
    to a reasonable height.  Please make this appear the same from the
    start.  If this is caused by the idnits page element, you could maybe
    take it out of the regular html placement flow by giving it absolute
    placement from the start?  (Just guessing here as to the cause...)

  * If a draft name is found in multiple places on the first page, it would
    make it easier to correct for instance a bad revision number if the
    meta-data error message would quote the full line where the bad rev.
    number was found.

The notes above is what I have from testing 8 drafts which have been
troublesome in the past.  As soon as the first bug is fixed, so it's
possible to do repeat submissions with idnits fixes, I'll test more.

Best,

	Henrik