Re: [yaco-liaison-tool] From Field in Liaison Tool

Glen <glen@amsl.com> Mon, 31 January 2011 20:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:16:40 -0800
From: Glen <glen@amsl.com>
To: yaco-liaison-tool@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yaco-liaison-tool] From Field in Liaison Tool

Hi again everyone -

On 1/31/2011 9:28 AM, "Emilio A. Sánchez López" wrote:
> I'll understand that secretariat staff has to be able to perform any
> action on the system. However, the fact that they can impersonate any
> user does not seem a good idea. In that case you will not be able to
> know if the user X made some change of was a staff user impersonating X.
> But this is only my opinion :)

Just to clarify -

I am certainly not in favor of impersonation.  I am very much in favor
of accountability, since that protects all parties in all directions.

It should always be the case that it is noted that someone has taken an
action on behalf of someone else; however, in most cases today the
database doesn't support this.

I do not want users to have to log in as other users.  I do not want
people sharing passwords.  That indeed is what I'm trying to AVOID here.

The IETF leadership and community expects the secretariat to be able to
act on their behalf whenever necessary.  The secretariat requires this
ability in order to do their jobs.  But as I said previously this needs
to be addressed more clearly going forward, and that will either be done
in the form of separate secretariat tools, or in the form of more
specifics in the contract.  Everything I've said up to here is just
general stuff, for the future, not about this project.

As far as this project specifically, Emilio, I do not personally expect
or ask you to take, nor do I necessarily think that you *should* take
any action here.  I am just trying to help bracket and identify the
problem here so we can avoid it going forward.  I apologize that I
failed to make that clear.

For now, our [the secretariat's] plan is to do what we always planned to
do, which is that, for the moment, we will continue to use the old tool
as needed, and, going forward, we had already planned to, and will,
upgrade the secretariat tools we currently use to support whatever new
functionality your product added.

I appreciate the detail you've sent us in the email, and your
participation with the IETF on this project.

Best,
Glen