[yam] minutes from YAM meeting in Stockholm

Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> Fri, 28 August 2009 12:53 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:52:42 -0400
From: Tony Hansen <tony@att.com>
To: Yet Another Mail Working Group <yam@ietf.org>
Subject: [yam] minutes from YAM meeting in Stockholm

These are the minutes I'm sending to the data tracker. Any revisions?

	Tony Hansen
	co-chair

Yet Another Mail (YAM) Working Group Meeting, 2009/7/30

			Meeting notes

Tony Hansen, Chris Newman, co-chairs
Peter Koch, jabber scribe
Randall Gellens, meeting notes

Jabber:		xmpp:yam@jabber.ietf.org
		http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/yam/2009-07-30.txt
Audio Stream:	http://feed.verilan.com/ietf/stream05.m3u
Meeting Materials:
	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/75/materials.html#wg-yam
WG Wiki:	http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/yam/trac/wiki

     * Reviewed updated list of Draft Standards to be progressed by
working group.  Eight documents have been dropped from the list, mostly
related to Internet Fax.

     * Open question of whether the dropped documents should be moved to
Historic. Some opposed.

     * Reviewed all documents on our list, including dependencies of each

     * Discussion on timeouts in 4409.
     * 4409 inherits the 5321 timeouts, which are much larger than
desirable for submission clients.
     * While this seems to be working well enough in practice that we
could get away with doing nothing, we agree to an Action item: Randy
will add purely informative text saying something like "Note to
implementers: while the SMTP timeouts are legal, many submission clients
don't wait for the full timeout, and hence a good quality MSA will
respond much quicker than the maximum permitted by SMTP."

     * Issue: MIME has down-ref to 822 for old abnf.  Options: (1) do
abnf ("8bnf") extraction from 822; (2) move ahead with document with
current 8bnf; (3) move ahead with current 8bnf in doc, but add
cross-referenced annotations pointing at updated definitions along with
text saying "be aware of multiple BNFs"
     * Resolution: rough consensus for option #3.

     * Action item: chairs to corner Mark Nottingham and ask him about 3282

     * Action item: chairs to ask Harald about use of 3282 (and cc
Alexey).  Alexey volunteers Martin Dürst.

     * Communication with IESG will be through Internet Drafts not
intended to be published as RFCs. Reviewed initial template written by
Chris Newman.

     * Action item: Dave Crocker to handle template for RFC 1652, 8-bit
MIME, as first version of template to go to the IESG.  First version due
from him Aug. 15. It will be reviewed, WGLC'd and sent to IESG. The
biggest reasons to choose it are that it's simple and should help debug
the process before moving forward with other, more complex, documents.